Brazilian pork and black bean feijoada with tomato salsa

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Brazilian pork and black bean feijoada with tomato salsa


Brazilian pork and black bean feijoada with tomato salsa

Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Carb-Conscious, Spicy, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus

2 Servings, 460 Calories/Serving

25–40 Minutes

With a little TLC, you can make your own feijoada. Known as the national dish of Brazil, this hearty black bean stew is simmered with pulled pork or chicken and topped with a punchy tomato salsa. 

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 1 organic white onion
  • 1 organic green or other bell pepper
  • 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
  • 1 cup cooked black beans
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
  • Sunbasket spicy green harissa (extra virgin olive oil - parsley - lemon juice - cilantro - kosher salt - cumin - cayenne - sweet smoked paprika)
  • Protein options:
  • 10 ounces braised pork shoulder
  • 10 ounces pulled cooked chicken breast
  • 1 organic Roma or other tomato

Nutrition per serving

Calories 460, Total Fat 22g (28% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 85mg (28% DV), Sodium 390mg (17% DV), Total Carb. 32g (12% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 35g

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Prep the feijoada ingredients; start the salsa

  • Peel and coarsely chop the onion. Transfer ½ cup [1 cup] onion to a medium bowl for the salsa.
  • Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; coarsely chop the pepper. Transfer ½ cup [1 cup] pepper to the bowl with the onion. 
  • Finely chop, press, or grate the garlic.
  • Rinse the black beans. Transfer half the beans to a small bowl; using a fork, masher, or the bottom of a bowl, mash to a coarse paste. 

To the bowl with the reserved onion and bell pepper, stir in the orange juice, champagne vinegar, and green harissa; season to taste with salt and pepper. Let the salsa stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the feijoada.


Cook the feijoada

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the remaining onion and bell pepper, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the pork or chicken, season lightly with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally to break into pieces, until the pork or chicken is warmed through and tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. 

Stir in the whole and mashed beans and 1 cup [2 cups] water. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are heated through and the liquid has thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the feijoada is cooking, finish the salsa. 


Finish the tomato salsa

Cut away the core from the tomato; coarsely chop the tomato.

To the bowl with the reserved onion and bell pepper, stir in the tomato and season to taste with salt and pepper.


Transfer the feijoada to individual bowls, top with the tomato salsa, and serve.

Kids Can!
  • Measure the onion and bell pepper. 
  • Press the garlic (if you have a press). 
  • Rinse the beans.
  • Mash the beans.
  • Measure the water for the feijoada.