In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Brazilian moqueca with wild sea scallops over sweet potato mash
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Pescatarian, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 570 Calories/Serving
Chef Justine’s lush seafood stew was inspired by a moqueca cook-off between two Brazilian staff members at the Sunbasket office. Good times!
In your bag
- 1 organic purple or other sweet potato
- 1 organic lime
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 3 organic scallions
- ¼ pound organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers
- Seafood options:
- 10 ounces wild sea scallops
- 2 sustainably raised Faroe Islands skinless salmon fillets - center-cut (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 sustainably raised skin-on barramundi fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 wild Alaskan skinless halibut fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (optional)
Calories 570, Total Fat 36g (46% DV), Sat. Fat 20g (100% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 35mg (12% DV), Sodium 720mg (31% DV), Total Carb. 40g (15% DV), Fiber 6g (21% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 22g
Contains: Tree Nuts (coconut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Make the sweet potato mash
- Peel the sweet potato. Cut the potato in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Juice half the lime; cut the remaining half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lime; cut the remaining lime into wedges.]
In a medium sauce pot, combine the sweet potato and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a vigorous simmer and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] lime juice. Using the back of a spoon or a masher, mash the potato until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] oil. Cover and keep warm. While the potato is cooking, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Prep the remaining produce
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 2 teaspoons [1 TBL].
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the green parts for garnish.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Finely chop the roasted red peppers.
Prep the seafood
- Rinse and drain the scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt.
In a large frying pan over high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the scallops and cook without turning until golden brown on one side, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn and continue cooking until starting to turn opaque but not yet cooked through, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Do not clean the pan.
For salmon, barramundi, and halibut:
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel (if using barramundi, discard the skin). Cut the fish into 1-inch pieces and season lightly with salt and pepper.
Cook the moqueca
In the large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Stir in the garlic and white parts of the scallions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, roasted red peppers, ¼ cup [½ cup] water, and as much sambal oelek as you like and cook, using the back of a spoon to gently crush the tomatoes, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the seafood, cover, and cook until the scallops are cooked through or the fish is opaque and flaky, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the sweet potato mash to individual bowls and spoon over the moqueca. Garnish with the green parts of the scallions and serve with the lime wedges.
- Juice the lime.
- Combine the sweet potato and coconut milk in a pot.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Measure the water for the moqueca.
- Garnish with the scallions.