In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Brown rice congee with edamame, mushrooms, and ginger
Dairy-Free, Family-Friendly, Mediterranean, Vegan
2 Servings, 620 Calories/Serving
Congee, or rice porridge, is the ultimate Asian comfort food. We use quick-cooking brown rice for a whole grain shortcut, perfectly complemented here with umami-rich toppings.
In your bag
- 1-inch piece organic fresh ginger
- ¾ cup quick-cooking long-grain brown rice
- 1 bunch organic broccoli leaves (about ¾ pound)
- 3½ ounces organic maitake or other specialty mushrooms
- 3 organic scallions
- Sunbasket tamari-sesame blend (gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - toasted sesame oil)
- ½ cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- ¾ cup shelled edamame
- 2 tablespoons fried shallots
Calories: 620, Protein: 21g (42% DV), Fiber: 12g (48% DV), Total Fat: 25g (38% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 2g (10% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 400mg (17% DV), Carbohydrates: 84g (28% DV), Total Sugars: 7g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Start the congee
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 2 teaspoons [1 TBL].
While the congee cooks, prepare the vegetables.
Prep and cook the vegetables
- Remove any coarse stems from the broccoli leaves; thinly slice the leaves.
- Trim the stem ends from the maitake mushrooms; separate the mushrooms into small clusters.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal for garnish.
In the same pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the mushrooms in a single layer and cook, turning once, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a small bowl and season to taste with up to half the tamari-sesame blend (set aside the rest for serving).
Cook the remaining vegetables; finish the congee
- Measure the ginger.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Time the rice.
- Separate the mushrooms into small clusters.
- Garnish the congee.