Brussels sprout carbonara with fresh fusilli and hazelnuts
30 – 40 Minutes
A creamy egg yolk sauce coats this ingenious carbonara, sprinkled with bread crumbs, Parmesan, and hazelnuts for a quick vegetarian meal.
- 3 tablespoons hazelnuts
- ¼ cup panko
- Panko spice blend (dried oregano - dried thyme - granulated garlic)
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 or 2 shallots
- ½ pound Brussels sprouts
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- 7 ounces fresh fusilli
- ¾ cup peas
Because of its higher moisture content, fresh pasta cooks much faster than dried and can clump together more easily as it cooks. Be sure to stir the fusilli a few times as it cooks to prevent clumping, and start checking if it’s ready after the first 3 minutes in the boiling water.
Heat the water; toast the hazelnuts
- Coarsely chop the hazelnuts.
Prep the panko mixture
Prep the vegetables and eggs
- Peel and coarsely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup.
- Trim the stem ends from the Brussels sprouts; thinly slice the sprouts lengthwise.
- Working over a small bowl, separate the egg yolks from the whites; save the whites for another use. Using a whisk or fork, lightly beat the egg yolks until blended.
Cook the fusilli
While the fusilli cooks, sauté the vegetables.
Cook the vegetables; finish the pasta
Stir in the peas and cook until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the fusilli and cook, stirring, until piping hot, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, immediately add the egg yolks, and toss to coat. If dry, add the reserved pasta cooking water 1 tablespoon at a time to loosen the sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Protein: 32g (64% DV), Fiber: 13g (52% DV), Total Fat: 33g (51% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 20g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 7g (35% DV), Cholesterol: 185mg (62% DV), Sodium: 450mg (19% DV) (does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV), Carbohydrates: 95g (32% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Tree nuts, milk, wheat, eggs.