In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Brussels sprout carbonara with fusilli and roasted hazelnuts
Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Family-Friendly
2 Servings, 660 Calories/Serving
A creamy egg yolk sauce coats this ingenious carbonara, sprinkled with Parmesan and hazelnuts for a hearty vegetarian meal.
In your bag
- 1 or 2 organic shallots
- ½ pound organic Brussels sprouts
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 2 organic eggs
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted hazelnuts
- 5 ounces quinoa fusilli
- Sun Basket dried herb blend (granulated garlic - dried thyme - dried oregano)
- ¾ cup organic peas
First cultivated in Belgium, Brussels sprouts resemble tiny green cabbages and grow on long stalks. Increasingly, you can buy the sprouts still on the stalk at farmers’ markets.
Calories: 660, Protein: 24g (48% DV), Fiber: 13g (52% DV), Total Fat: 26g (40% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 16g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 165mg (55% DV), Sodium: 270mg (11% DV), Carbohydrates: 85g (28% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Tree Nuts (hazelnut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Heat the water; prep the ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
- Trim the ends from the Brussels sprouts; thinly slice the sprouts.
- Set aside half the Parmesan for garnish.
- Working over 2 small bowls, crack 1 egg at a time and separate the white and yolk, carefully dropping the white into 1 bowl and the yolk into the other bowl. Save the whites for another use. [Separate all 4 eggs.] Using a fork or whisk, lightly beat the egg yolks until blended. Stir in half the Parmesan.
- Using the bottom of a bowl or cup, lightly crush the hazelnuts for garnish.
Cook the fusilli
While the fusilli cooks, sauté the vegetables.
Cook the vegetables; finish the pasta
Remove from the heat, immediately add the egg yolks, and toss to coat. If dry, add the reserved pasta cooking water 1 tablespoon at a time to loosen the sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Measure the shallots.
- Divide the Parmesan.
- Crush the hazelnuts.
- Time the fusilli.
- Sprinkle the hazelnuts and Parmesan.