In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Brussels sprout carbonara with penne rigate and roasted hazelnuts
Soy-Free, Vegetarian, No Added Sugar, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 640 Calories/Serving
Veggie lovers, this one’s for you. We give pasta carbonara a vegetarian remix by swapping seared Brussels sprouts and peas for the pork.
In your bag
- 2 organic sweet potatoes
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 1 chipotle chile in gluten-free adobo (optional)
- ½ cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- Sunbasket chili spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet paprika - granulated garlic)
- ½ cup diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 organic lime
- 1 organic jicama (about 1 pound)
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup grated cheddar
Calories 640, Total Fat 26g (33% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 165mg (55% DV), Sodium 200mg (9% DV), Total Carb. 77g (28% DV), Fiber 12g (43% DV), Total Sugars 9g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 28g
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Tree Nuts (hazelnut), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep the ingredients
Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil for the penne rigate.
- Peel and coarsely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup [½ cup].
- Trim the ends from the Brussels sprouts; thinly slice the sprouts.
- Set aside half the Parmesan for garnish.
- Working over 2 small bowls, crack 1 egg at a time and separate the white and yolk, carefully dropping the white into 1 bowl and the yolk into the other bowl. Save the whites for another use. [Separate all 4 eggs.] Lightly beat the egg yolks with a fork until blended. Stir in half the Parmesan.
- Using the bottom of a bowl or cup, lightly crush the hazelnuts for garnish.
Cook the penne rigate
To the pot of boiling water, add the penne rigate and cook until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, reserving ½ cup [¾ cup] pasta cooking water. Return the penne to the pot; toss with 1 to 2 teaspoons oil to keep the noodles from sticking. While the penne is cooking, sauté the vegetables.
Cook the vegetables; finish the pasta
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the shallots, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts and dried herb blend and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are lightly browned and tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the peas and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the penne and ¼ cup [⅓ cup] of the reserved pasta cooking water and cook, stirring, until piping hot, 1 to 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat, immediately add the egg yolks, and toss to coat. If dry, add the remaining pasta cooking water 1 tablespoon at a time to loosen the sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the penne rigate and sauce to individual bowls. Sprinkle with the hazelnuts and remaining Parmesan and serve.
- Measure the shallots.
- Divide the Parmesan.
- Crush the hazelnuts.
- Time the penne rigate.
- Sprinkle the hazelnuts and Parmesan.