Bucatini with eggs, leeks, spinach, and preserved lemon
Vegetarian, Soy Free, Low Calorie
25 – 35 Minutes
Savory yet sweet, with creamy leeks and crunchy bread crumbs, this rustic vegetarian pasta hits every note, inspired by dishes from Lazio, near Rome.
- 5 ounces bucatini
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 2 small leeks
- 1 lemon
- ¼ preserved lemon
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 3 ounces baby spinach
- ⅓ cup whole wheat panko
- 3 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano
Cook the bucatini
While the water heats and the bucatini cooks, prepare the eggs.
Cook the eggs
While the eggs cook, prepare the sauce.
Make the sauce; finish the pasta
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Trim the root ends from the leeks; cut the leeks in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons. Soak the leeks in a medium bowl of cold water, allowing any dirt to settle at the bottom. Skim the leeks from the surface of the water and pat dry.
- Zest and juice enough lemon to measure 1 tablespoon zest and 1 teaspoon juice.
- Remove any pulp from the preserved lemon; finely chop enough peel to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for garnish.
Stir in the bucatini, lemon juice, panko, and half the parsley; cook until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Finish the eggs
Chef's tip: For crisper bread crumbs toast the panko in a dry pan for about 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 24g (48% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 16g (25% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 4g (20% DV), Cholesterol: 165mg (55% DV), Sodium: 630mg (26% DV), Carbohydrates: 83g (28% DV), Total Sugars: 7g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: milk, wheat, eggs.