Burmese salmon salad with lemongrass and apple
Paleo, Gluten-Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
For this fast paleo and gluten-free main-course salad, we dusted salmon with beet powder and crushed coriander seeds to give it a bright aroma and crimson hue.
- Salmon spice rub (beet powder - coriander seeds)
- 2 skin-on wild Yukon River salmon fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- 1 lemon
- 1 romaine heart
- 1 apple
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Sun Basket lemongrass paste (lemongrass - olive oil - fresh garlic - fresh ginger - turmeric)
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
To add crunch to the salad, don’t discard the cooked salmon skin; coarsely chop it and fold it in with the salad. For a little more texture and flavor, you can toast the sesame seeds: In Step 1, before starting the salmon, in the dry large frying pan over medium-high heat, toast the sesame seeds, stirring often, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to a plate to cool.
Make It Leaner
To eliminate 60 calories and 7 grams of fat per serving, in Step 1, omit the oil and cook the salmon in a dry nonstick frying pan. To cut an additional 40 calories and 4.5 grams of fat per serving, in Step 2, replace the 1 tablespoon oil in the dressing with 1 teaspoon oil plus 2 teaspoons water.
Cook the salmon
- Transfer the spice rub to a shallow bowl or plate. Using the bottom of another small bowl or cup, lightly crush the coriander seeds. Spread the spice rub in an even layer.
- Pat the salmon dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper and press both sides of the fillets into the spice rub.
While the salmon cooks, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Cut the lemon in half; juice half into a large bowl. Cut half into wedges for garnish.
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Cut the apple into quarters and cut away the core. Thinly slice the fruit.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro for garnish.
Protein: 36g (72% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 29g (45% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 18g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 4g (20% DV), Cholesterol: 55mg (18% DV), Sodium: 150mg (6% DV), Carbohydrates: 22g (7% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).