In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Burmese salmon salad with lemongrass and bell pepper
Gluten-Free Friendly, Keto-Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Pescatarian, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 540 Calories/Serving
Buckle up those taste buds. This dish, inspired by Burmese tea leaf salad, is a flavorful journey featuring crisp veggies, fragrant lemongrass, and rich salmon dusted in crimson beet powder.
In your bag
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- Fish options:
- 2 sustainably raised Faroe Islands skinless salmon fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 wild Alaskan skinless halibut fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 wild skin-on snapper fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 1½ teaspoons beet powder
- 1 organic romaine heart or other lettuce
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 1 organic lemon
- Sunbasket lemongrass paste (lemongrass - extra virgin olive oil - garlic - ginger - turmeric)
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
Calories 540, Total Fat 39g (50% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 65mg (22% DV), Sodium 95mg (4% DV), Total Carb. 20g (7% DV), Fiber 9g (32% DV), Total Sugars 7g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 28g
Contains: Sesame (sesame)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the fish
- On a cutting board, using a rolling pin or the bottom of a small pot or bowl, lightly crush the coriander seeds.
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel; season lightly with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the beet powder and crushed coriander.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking.
For salmon and halibut:
Add the fish and cook until lightly browned on the bottom side, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 2 to 4 minutes.
Add the fish, skin side down, and cook until the skin is crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the flesh is opaque and flaky, 2 to 4 minutes.
Transfer to a plate to cool slightly. Using a fork, flake the fish into bite-size pieces; if using snapper, discard the skin if desired. Wipe out the pan. While the fish is cooking, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; thinly slice the pepper.
- Juice half the lemon; cut the remaining half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lemon; cut the remaining lemon into wedges.]
Make the salad
In the same pan used for the fish, add the lemongrass paste, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil, and as many chile flakes as you like and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the romaine, bell pepper, sesame seeds, and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lemon juice and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the salad to individual bowls, top with the fish, and serve with the lemon wedges.
- Crush the coriander seeds.
- Time the fish.
- Juice the lemon; measure the juice.