Burmese tomato-chickpea soup with lemongrass
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Soy-Free
The complex flavors in this simple soup come by way of Burma, where the cuisine draws from China, India, and Thailand. The chickpeas lend it texture and protein, while the mix of lemongrass, ginger, and turmeric takes the broth in an intriguing and delicious direction. The heat from the (optional) chile flakes is tempered by a soothing dose of yogurt.
In your bag
- 1 to 2 shallots
- 1½ cup chickpeas
- Lemongrass paste (lemongrass - fresh garlic - fresh ginger - turmeric - canola olive oil blend - salt)
- ½ teaspoon Oaktown Spice Shop kimchi chile flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro
- 3 scallions
- 1 lime
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
Prep the shallots and chickpeas
- Peel and chop the shallots.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
Cook the shallots
Finish the soup
Prep the garnishes
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Trim the ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
Calories: 600, Protein: 20 g, Fiber: 12 g, Total Fat: 31 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 21.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5 g, Saturated Fat: 5 g, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Sodium: 330 mg, Carbohydrates: 63 g, Added Sugar: 0 g.