In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Butternut squash quesadillas with black beans and vegan “queso”
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Vegan, Diabetes-Friendly, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories
2 Servings, 590 Calories/Serving
Piping hot mashed butternut squash and rich cashew butter “queso” provide all the creaminess in these cheese-free quesadillas.
In your bag
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- ½ pound organic chopped peeled butternut squash
- Sunbasket chili spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet paprika - granulated garlic)
- ¼ cup diced mild green chiles
- 1 head organic baby iceberg or other lettuce
- 1 organic lime
- 2 organic Roma or other tomatoes
- 8 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- Sunbasket vegan “cheese” sauce base (almond milk - cashew butter - granulated garlic - nutritional yeast - kosher salt - onion powder)
Calories 590, Total Fat 26g (33% DV), Sat. Fat 4g (20% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 800mg (35% DV), Total Carb. 79g (29% DV), Fiber 16g (57% DV), Total Sugars 10g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 17g
Contains: Tree Nuts (almond, cashew)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Cook the butternut squash filling
- Rinse the black beans.
In a medium sauce pot, add the butternut squash and enough lightly salted water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the squash and return to the pot. Add 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] oil. Using the back of a spoon or a masher, coarsely mash the squash. Stir in the black beans, chili spice blend, and green chiles. Season to taste with salt and pepper. While the squash is cooking, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Trim the root end from the lettuce; thinly slice the leaves.
- Juice the lime.
- Cut away the cores from the tomatoes; coarsely chop the tomatoes for serving.
In a medium bowl, toss together the lettuce and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Assemble and cook the quesadillas
On a work surface, lay out 4  tortillas. Divide the squash mixture among the tortillas and spread evenly; cover each with a second tortilla.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the quesadillas and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly, then cut in half. Add more oil between batches if needed.
Transfer the quesadillas to individual plates and serve with the lettuce, tomatoes, and vegan “cheese” sauce.
- Rinse the beans.
- Mash the butternut squash.
- Juice the lime.
- Combine the lettuce and lime juice.
- Help assemble the quesadillas.