Cajun blackened sole and cauliflower-mushroom “dirty rice”
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Lean & Clean
30 – 40 Minutes
Black garlic adds a subtle sweet roasted flavor to cauliflower “rice” in this paleo take on classic Cajun blackened sole; the bright serrano chile is optional.
- 3 ounces white button mushrooms
- 1 or 2 cloves unpeeled black garlic
- 1½ ounces roasted red peppers
- 3 scallions
- 1 serrano (optional)
- Rice seasoning (chili powder - porcini powder)
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- ½ cup mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- 10 ounces cauliflower “rice”
- Fish options:
- Two 5-ounce Wild Pacific skinless sole fillets
- Two 5-ounce Wild Alaskan skinless halibut fillets
- Blackening spice blend (chili powder - sweet smoked paprika - granulated garlic)
- 1 lemon
Make It Leaner
Cook the cauliflower “rice” in Step 2 using just 1 tablespoon oil and omit the final drizzle of oil in Step 4 and you’ll shave off 120 calories and 14 grams of fat per serving.
Black garlic is made by holding fresh garlic at about 140°F for weeks at a time, until it turns an incredible inky black. What results is loaded with umami and antioxidants, has a sticky texture, and tastes like savory candy.
Prep the cauliflower “dirty rice” ingredients
- Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Trim the root ends from the black garlic cloves and remove the peel; using the side of a knife, smash the garlic.
- Scrape off any seeds from the roasted red peppers; finely chop the peppers.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal, keeping the white and green parts separate.
- If using the serrano, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; thinly slice the serrano. Wash your hands after handling.
Start the cauliflower “dirty rice”
Add the cauliflower “rice” and up to ¼ cup water if dry. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the cauliflower is just tender and the liquid is mostly evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes.
While the cauliflower “rice” cooks, prepare the sole.
Prep and cook the fish
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the blackening spice blend.
Finish the cauliflower “dirty rice”
- Juice half the lemon; cut half into wedges for garnish.
Calories: 540, Protein: 24g (48% DV), Fiber: 8g (32% DV), Total Fat: 39g (60% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 29g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 65mg (22% DV), Sodium: 650mg (27% DV), Carbohydrates: 22g (7% DV), Total Sugars: 7g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.