In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Cajun-spiced steak strips over white rice with red pepper vinaigrette
Gluten-Free Friendly, Soy-Free, Spicy, No Added Sugar, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 680 Calories/Serving
Whip up this mouthwatering dish in the time it takes to boil rice. The secret to its big flavor is the easy pan jus, a delightful brew of butter, garlic, and browned bits scraped up from the pan.
In your bag
- ½ cup long-grain white rice
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic green or other bell pepper
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- Your choice of protein
- Sunbasket Cajun spice blend (sweet paprika - granulated garlic - onion powder - dried thyme - dried oregano - cayenne)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Sunbasket red pepper vinaigrette (extra virgin olive oil - roasted red peppers - red wine vinegar - Dijon mustard - kosher salt)
Calories 680, Total Fat 39g (50% DV), Sat. Fat 12g (60% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 125mg (42% DV), Sodium 340mg (15% DV), Total Carb. 50g (18% DV), Fiber 5g (18% DV), Total Sugars 6g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 37g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1 cup [1½ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. While the rice is cooking, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into ¼-inch-wide strips.
- Finely chop, press, or grate the garlic.
Prep your protein
- Steak, chicken, or pork strips: Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer the meat to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Cut into 1-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper and the Cajun spice blend.
- Shrimp or scallops: Rinse and drain the shrimp or scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper and the Cajun spice blend.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; crumble or cut into ½-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper and the Cajun spice blend.
- Plant-based chicken: Pat the plant-based chicken dry with a paper towel; cut into 1-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper and the Cajun spice blend.
Start cooking your protein
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned but not yet cooked through, about 1 minute for regular shrimp and 2 to 4 minutes for all other proteins. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
Cook the vegetables; finish the dish
In the same pan used for your protein, if dry, add 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] oil. Warm over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and bell pepper, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to brown and soften 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to the plate with your protein. Add the butter and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring constantly and scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until the butter is melted and the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Return the vegetables and your protein and any accumulated juices to the pan and cook, tossing to coat, until your protein is cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes for regular shrimp; 2 to 3 minutes for jumbo shrimp, scallops, steak, pork, tofu, or plant-based chicken; and 3 to 5 minutes for chicken. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the rice to individual bowls and top with your protein and vegetables. Drizzle with the red pepper vinaigrette and serve.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Measure the onion.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Drizzle the red pepper vinaigrette.