California turkey burgers with cucumber-mint salad and avocado
25 – 35 Minutes
Lean ground turkey burgers get a mild kick from mayo spiked with (optional) sambal oelek chile paste and a tangy boost from lime and cilantro.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 2 limes
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 cucumber
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh mint
- ¼ cup paleo mayo
- 1½ teaspoons sambal oelek (optional)
- 2 or 3 Roma tomatoes (about ½ pound total)
- 2 avocados
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 4 whole wheat buns*
- *Not paleo; omit for a paleo-strict version.
It’s true, there’s no butter in butter lettuce. The leaf lettuce is said to have earned its name because of its buttery-soft texture. It’s also known as Boston or Bibb lettuce, the latter named for John Bibb, an amateur horticulturist who cultivated a variety in the mid-19th century.
Prep the turkey burgers
- Cut a small corner from the ground turkey packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ½ cup.
- Zest the limes.
- Juice the limes. Set aside the juice for the cucumber-mint salad.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Cook the burgers
While the burgers cook, prepare the rest of the meal.
Make the cucumber-mint salad
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumber on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Trim the ends from the radishes; thinly slice the radishes.
- Strip the mint leaves from their stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
Prep the toppings and lettuce; toast the buns
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayo and as much sambal oelek as you like.
- Cut away the cores from the tomatoes; thinly slice the tomatoes.
- Cut the avocados in half. Remove the pits, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Trim the root end from the butter lettuce; separate as many larger leaves as desired (paleo-strict diners can build their burgers on lettuce leaves instead of buns).
- Juice the limes.
- Strip and tear the mint leaves.
- Toss the cucumber-mint salad.
- Stir together the mayo and sambal oelek, if using.
- Separate the lettuce leaves.
Protein: 25g (50% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 44g (68% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 18g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 21g (105% DV), Cholesterol: 100mg (33% DV), Sodium: 510mg (21% DV), Carbohydrates: 31g (10% DV), Total Sugars: 7g, Added Sugars (Trace amounts of sugar in hamburger bun): 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Soy, wheat (both in the optional buns), eggs (in buns and mayo).
Paleo-strict nutrition per serving: Calories: 510, Protein: 25g (50% DV), Fiber: 3g (12% DV), Total Fat: 42g (65% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 18g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 20g (100% DV), Cholesterol: 100mg (33% DV), Sodium: 320mg (13% DV), Carbohydrates: 9g (3% DV), Total Sugars: 5g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: Eggs (in mayo).