Caprese orecchiette with cherry tomatoes and basil pesto

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Caprese orecchiette with cherry tomatoes and basil pesto

Soy-Free, Family-Friendly, Vegetarian

2 Servings, 800 Calories/Serving

15 Minutes

The crowd-pleasing salad becomes a satisfying vegetarian pasta dish topped with our house-made basil pesto.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sun Basket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 5 ounces orecchiette
  • 1 organic red onion
  • 3 ounces organic grape or cherry tomatoes
  • 3 ounces organic Sungold or other cherry tomatoes
  • 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
  • ¼ pound fresh mozzarella
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 3 ounces organic baby arugula or other leafy greens
  • Sun Basket basil pesto (EVOO - walnuts - basil - garlic - kosher salt - black pepper)

Nutrition per serving

Calories: 800, Protein: 23g (46% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 48g (74% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 24g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 12g (60% DV), Cholesterol: 40mg (13% DV), Sodium: 440mg (18% DV), Carbohydrates: 69g (23% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Tree Nuts (walnut), Wheat

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.

Instructions

2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use

1

Cook the orecchiette

Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the orecchiette and cook until just tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain the orecchiette.
While the water heats and the orecchiette cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.

2

Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the pasta

  • Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure ½ cup [1 cup].
  • Cut the tomatoes into quarters.
  • Finely chop, press, or grate the garlic.
  • Cut the mozzarella into ½-inch pieces.
In a large bowl, stir together the onion, tomatoes, garlic, red wine vinegar, and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the orecchiette, mozzarella, and arugula and toss to coat; season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve

Transfer the orecchiette to individual bowls, top with the pesto, and serve.
Kids Can!
  • Time the orecchiette.
  • Measure the onion.
  • Press the garlic (if you have a press).
  • Toss the orecchiette with the other ingredients.
  • Top the orecchiette with pesto.