Cauliflower "steaks" with fried eggs and sweet potato–scallion hash
Paleo, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Steak ‘n’ eggs gets a vegetarian, paleo, and gluten-free makeover in this ingenious dinner (or brunch).
- 1 small head cauliflower (about ¾ pound)
- Sun Basket steak rub (sweet paprika - granulated garlic - onion powder - ground coriander - dried dill)
- 1 sweet potato
- 3 scallions
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- ¼ pound roasted red peppers
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 pasture-raised organic eggs
If you have a food processor, you can use it in Step 2 to process the cauliflower into corn-kernel-sized pieces. For a chunkier hash, cut the florets into ½-inch pieces. To save a pan, you can cook the eggs in the same pan used for the hash; just wipe it out before frying the eggs.
Make It Leaner
If you have both a medium and a large nonstick frying pan, use them to cook both the cauliflower "steaks" and the eggs in the dry pans with no oil. Skipping the 1 tablespoon oil in Step 1 will cut 60 calories and 7 grams of fat per serving. To lose an additional 40 calories and 4.5 grams of fat, omit the 2 teaspoons oil in Step 4.
Prep and cook the cauliflower "steaks"
- Cut away any leaves from the cauliflower. Cut two 1-inch-thick slices from the center of the cauliflower; set aside the remaining cauliflower for the hash. Rub each cauliflower "steak" with 1 teaspoon oil; season generously with salt and pepper.
While the cauliflower "steaks" cook, prepare the vegetables for the hash.
Prep the vegetables; start the hash
- Scrub or peel the sweet potato. Trim the ends and cut the potato lengthwise into ½-inch-wide slices, then crosswise into ½-inch cubes.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal.
- Cut the remaining cauliflower into florets, discarding any thick stalks. Cut the florets into corn-kernel-sized pieces.
While the sweet potato mixture cooks, prepare the peppers and parsley.
Prep the peppers and parsley; finish the hash
- Scrape off any seeds from the roasted red peppers; thinly slice the peppers.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
While the hash cooks, fry the eggs.
Cook the eggs
Protein: 19g (38% DV), Fiber: 13g (52% DV), Total Fat: 31g (48% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 20g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 310mg (103% DV), Sodium: 600mg (25% DV), Carbohydrates: 39g (13% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).