In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Char siu pork with quick pickles
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo
2 Servings, 470 Calories/Serving
We use beet powder to give our paleo version of Chinese char siu pork its iconic bright red hue.
In your bag
- 2 pork blade steaks (about 6 ounces each)
- Sunbasket char siu marinade (maple syrup - coconut aminos - molasses - dried plums - garlic - coconut vinegar - toasted sesame oil - beet powder - five-spice powder)
- ¼ pound organic shredded green or other cabbage
- 2 ounces organic shredded carrots
- Sunbasket quick-pickle brine (apple cider vinegar - honey)
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns (optional)
- 10 ounces organic baby broccoli
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
Calories 470, Total Fat 24g (31% DV), Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 60mg (20% DV), Sodium 290mg (13% DV), Total Carb. 42g (15% DV), Fiber 7g (25% DV), Total Sugars 25g (Incl. 17g Added Sugars, 34% DV), Protein 23g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Marinate the pork; quick-pickle the cabbage and carrots
- Pat the pork dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, and quick-pickle brine. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Let stand, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Prep the ingredients for the broccoli
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- If using the Sichuan peppercorns, on a cutting board, using a rolling pin or the bottom of a small pot or bowl, lightly crush the peppercorns.
- Trim the root ends from the baby broccoli.
Cook the broccoli
Cook the pork; finish the quick pickles
To the bowl with the pickled cabbage and carrots, stir in the sesame seeds; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Quick-pickle the cabbage and carrots.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Measure the garlic.
- Measure the water for the broccoli.
- Stir the sesame seeds into the quick pickles.