In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Cheesy chicken sloppy joes with crisp lettuce salad
Mediterranean, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 640 Calories/Serving
The first sloppy joe, in all of its saucy-meaty glory, skyrocketed to fame in the 1930s. Our tasty version has the same star power with rich loose meat, juicy tomatoes, and melted cheddar.
In your bag
- 2 whole wheat buns
- Your choice of protein
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 organic jalapeño or other fresh chile (optional)
- Sunbasket sloppy joe sauce base (tomatoes - tomato paste - vegan Worcestershire - granulated garlic - chili powder - cumin - coriander)
- ½ cup grated cheddar
- 1 head organic Artisan romaine or other lettuce
- Sunbasket lemon vinaigrette base (lemon juice - onion - garlic - Dijon mustard - porcini powder)
Calories 640, Total Fat 33g (42% DV), Sat. Fat 8g (40% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 115mg (38% DV), Sodium 750mg (33% DV), Total Carb. 51g (19% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 12g (Incl. 3g Added Sugars, 6% DV), Protein 38g
Contains: Milk, Wheat, Soybeans
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Toast the buns
In a large frying pan, place the buns, cut sides down, and cook over medium-high heat until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Alternatively, toast them in a toaster oven. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
Prep your protein
- Ground meat (including plant-based): Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Tofu: Pat the tofu dry with paper towels; cut into ½-inch cubes.
Prep the onion and jalapeño; cook the sloppy joe filling
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure ¾ cup [1½ cups].
- If using the jalapeño, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; thinly slice the jalapeño. Wash your hands after handling.
In the same pan used for the buns, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and as much jalapeño as you like, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add your protein, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring and breaking up the ground meat if using, until your protein is lightly browned and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
Stir in the sloppy joe sauce base and ¼ cup [½ cup] water and cook until the sauce is thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the cheddar and cook until melted, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the sloppy joe filling is cooking, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim the root end from the romaine; coarsely chop the leaves.
In a large bowl, stir together the lemon vinaigrette base and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the romaine and toss to coat; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place the bun bottoms, cut sides up, on individual plates and top with the sloppy joe filling. Close with the bun tops. Serve the salad on the side.
- Measure the onion.
- Measure the water for the sloppy joe filling.
- Time the cooking.
- Make the vinaigrette.
- Assemble the salad.