Enchilada casserole with quinoa and apple-radish slaw
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian, Soy-Free
35 – 45 Minutes
This Tex-Mex casserole combines our favorite enchilada sauce and fillings but eliminates the hard work. Instead of rolling everything up into softened tortillas, we stir the fillings and cheese with protein-packed quinoa and black beans. Kids love our crunchy apple-radish slaw; they can tear or grate the cabbage or you can chop it, as you prefer. In fact, most every aspect of this meal is customizable. If anyone in your family is not a fan of cilantro, green chiles, or radishes, for example, leave them out or serve them on the side.
- 5 ounces rainbow quinoa
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 tablespoons Cup4Cup gluten-free flour
- Sun Basket enchilada sauce base (tomato paste - dried Mexican oregano - granulated garlic - cumin - chile powder - salt)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces diced green chiles
- 6 ounces Savoy cabbage
- 2 Fuji apples
- 3 or 4 red radishes
- 1 lemon
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado
Cook the quinoa
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa.
While the quinoa cooks, prepare the black beans and enchilada sauce.
Prep the black beans; make the enchilada sauce
- Rinse the black beans.
Assemble and bake the casserole
While the casserole bakes, make the slaw.
Prepare the slaw and garnishes
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; chop, tear, or grate the cabbage.
- Cut the apples into quarters, cut away the core, and thinly slice the fruit.
- Trim the ends from the radishes; thinly slice the radishes.
- Juice the lemon.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro and divide into two equal portions, one for the slaw and one for garnish.
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and coarsely chop; set aside for garnish.
- Rinse the quinoa and the beans.
- Tear or grate the cabbage.
- Juice the lemon.
- Scoop out the avocado.
- Dress the slaw.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 550, Protein: 18 g, Total Fat: 27 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 14 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 30 mg, Carbohydrates: 62 g, Fiber: 14 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 840 mg