In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicago-style pork blade sandwiches with caramelized onion and coleslaw
2 Servings, 870 Calories/Serving
In this stand-out dish, we pile juicy pork blade steaks with sweet dried plums and caramelized onion, then serve the sandwiches with a side of creamy coleslaw. Grab some napkins and roll up your sleeves, because this delicious sando is worth it.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- 1½ ounces dried plums
- 1 wedge organic green or other cabbage (about 7 ounces)
- ¼ pound organic shredded carrots
- Sunbasket coleslaw dressing (paleo mayo - honey - apple cider vinegar - celery seeds)
- 2 pork blade steaks (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 ciabatta rolls
Calories 870, Total Fat 36g (46% DV), Sat. Fat 8g (40% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 90mg (30% DV), Sodium 920mg (40% DV), Total Carb. 99g (36% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 18g (Incl. 2g Added Sugars, 4% DV), Protein 38g
Contains: Eggs, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and caramelize the onion
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Coarsely chop the dried plums.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and starting to caramelize, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the dried plums and ¾ cup [1¼ cups] water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the onion is cooking, start preparing the rest of the meal.
Make the coleslaw
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
Prep and cook the pork
- Pat the pork dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper.
Toast the ciabatta
- Cut the ciabatta in half horizontally.
- Measure the water for the onion.
- Assemble the coleslaw.
- Time the cooking.
- Sing Take Me Out to the Ball Game.