In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken and black bean tortilla soup with spicy chipotle yogurt
Gluten-Free Friendly, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Spicy, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 600 Calories/Serving
We love making soup with leftover holiday poultry and some of our favorite chiles. Inspired by those resourceful recipes, here we use boneless chicken and hearty black beans in our fire-roasted soup base.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Sunbasket tortilla soup base (fire-roasted tomatoes - tomato paste - chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet paprika - granulated garlic)
- ¼ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (Monterey Jack - sharp cheddar - queso blanco - asadero)
- Sunbasket chipotle yogurt (Greek yogurt - chipotle chile powder - sweet smoked paprika)
- 3 tablespoons pickled jalapeños (optional)
- Tortilla chips (for garnish)
Nutrition per serving
Calories 600, Total Fat 28g (36% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 110mg (37% DV), Sodium 690mg (30% DV), Total Carb. 55g (20% DV), Fiber 9g (32% DV), Total Sugars 8g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 36g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In a large sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pot. While the chicken is browning, start preparing the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion; finely chop enough onion to measure ¼ cup [½ cup] and set aside for garnish.
- Rinse the black beans.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro for garnish.
Cook the soup
In the same pot used for the chicken, add the coarsely chopped onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken and any accumulated juices, black beans, tortilla soup base, and 1 cup [2 cups] water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
Remove from the heat. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the chicken to a plate to cool, then using a fork, shred the chicken into 1-inch strips. Return the chicken to the pot and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the soup to individual bowls. Garnish with the Mexican cheese blend, finely chopped onion, cilantro, chipotle yogurt, and as much pickled jalapeños as you like. Serve the tortilla chips and any remaining yogurt and jalapeños on the side.
- Measure the finely chopped onion.
- Rinse the black beans.
- Measure the water for the soup.
- Time the cooking.
- Garnish with the cheese, onion, and cilantro.