In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken and dumplings
Soy-Free, Gluten-Free, Family-Friendly
2 Servings, 520 Calories/Serving
This is Sunbasket’s easy (and gluten-free!) spin on an American classic.
In your bag
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 ounces organic cremini or other button mushrooms
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- Sunbasket gluten-free dumpling mix (Cup4Cup gluten-free flour - sugar - kosher salt - baking powder - baking soda)
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 cup organic mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons Cup4Cup gluten-free flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
Calories: 520, Protein: 34g (68% DV), Fiber: 2g (8% DV), Total Fat: 21g (32% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 135mg (45% DV), Sodium: 830mg (35% DV), Carbohydrates: 44g (15% DV), Total Sugars: 7g, Added Sugars: 1g (2% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the milk-vinegar mixture
- Measure ¼ cup [½ cup] milk; save the rest for another use.
Prep the vegetables; make the dumpling dough
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons [1 TBL].
In a medium bowl, using a fork, stir together the dumpling mix and melted butter or 1½ teaspoons [1 TBL] oil. Add the milk-vinegar mixture and stir just until a soft dough forms; do not overmix. Let stand while you prepare the chicken.
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Cook the vegetables
Finish the chicken; cook the dumplings
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves for garnish.
- Prepare the milk-vinegar mixture.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Help make the dumpling dough.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Garnish with the parsley.