Chicken and dumplings
Gluten Free, Soy Free
35 - 45 Minutes
You’ll love our streamlined take on an American classic, immortalized in the lyric to the old-time song, “She’ll Be Coming ‘Round the Mountain.” But there’s no need to wait for anyone to arrive from a mountain journey to enjoy this easy feast. While the chicken simmers, the dumplings steam on top, absorbing the comforting flavors in the broth.
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 ounces button mushrooms
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Dumpling mix (Cup4Cup gluten-free flour - baking powder - sugar - salt - baking soda)
- 3 ounces diced pancetta
- 2 cups mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken thigh pieces
- 2 tablespoons Cup4Cup gluten-free flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
Prep the milk-vinegar mixture
- Measure out ½ cup milk; save the rest for another use.
Prep the vegetables and dumpling dough
- Trim the stem ends from the mushrooms; cut the mushrooms into quarters.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely tear the leaves.
- In a small sauce pot over low heat, melt the butter.
Brown the pancetta; cook the vegetables
While the vegetables cook, prep the chicken.
Finish the broth; cook the dumplings
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Chef’s Tip You can use an ice cream scoop to help shape the dumplings. Just remember to shape them a bit smaller than you want them to be because they will expand as they cook in the sauce.
- Prepare the milk-vinegar mixture.
- Prepare the thyme and parsley.
- Help make the dumplings.
- Set the table.
- Sing “She’ll Be Coming ‘Round the Mountain”.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 520, Protein: 37 g, Total Fat: 23 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 8 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 140 mg, Carbohydrates: 42 g, Fiber: 2 g, Added Sugar (Dumpling mix; Chicken broth contains trace amounts of organic cane sugar): 1 g, Sodium: 870 mg,: 1 g, Sodium: 870 mg