Chicken and kale salad with blistered grapes and tomatoes

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Chicken and kale salad with blistered grapes and tomatoes

Chicken and kale salad with blistered grapes and tomatoes

Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Lean & Clean, <600 Calories, Protein Plus

2 Servings, 690 Calories/Serving

30–40 Minutes

This paleo and gluten-free salad is light on calories but heavy on flavor with rosemary-rubbed chicken breasts and our house-made dressing.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1 red onion
  • Sunbasket house dressing base (balsamic vinegar - Dijon mustard - fresh garlic)
  • 3 ounces red grapes
  • ¼ pound cherry tomatoes
  • Fresh rosemary
  • Two 6-ounce boneless skin-on chicken breasts
  • 3 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
  • 1 avocado

Nutrition per serving

Total Fat 44g (56% DV), Sat. Fat 8g (40% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 110mg (37% DV), Sodium 480mg (21% DV), Total Carb. 30g (11% DV), Fiber 9g (32% DV), Total Sugars 14g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 45g


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Prep and dress the kale

  • Strip the kale leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
  • Peel and thinly slice enough red onion to measure 1 cup.
In a large bowl, combine the kale, onion, house dressing base, and 2 to 3 teaspoons oil, if desired. Season with salt and pepper and gently massage the leaves. Let stand while you prepare the rest of the meal.


Cook the grapes and tomatoes

  • Remove any stems from the grapes.
In a dry large frying pan over high heat, add the grapes and tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until blistered, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool. Wipe out the pan.


Prep and cook the chicken

  • Strip the rosemary leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
  • Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper and coat all over with the rosemary.
In the same pan used for the grapes and tomatoes, warm 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook until the skin is well browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn and cook until the meat is firm and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes, depending on thickness. Transfer to a cutting board to rest, then cut into ½-inch-thick slices.
While the chicken cooks and rests, prepare the remaining ingredients and assemble the salad.


Prep the remaining ingredients; toss the salad

  • Set aside 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds for optional garnish.
Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into bite-size pieces. Set aside half for optional garnish. To the bowl with the kale and onion, add the grapes, tomatoes, remaining 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, and half the avocado and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


Transfer the kale salad to individual bowls and top with the chicken. Serve the remaining pumpkin seeds and avocado on the side, if desired.