Chicken and new potato lettuce cups with tarragon-mustard dressing
Gluten Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Tarragon brings elegance and a lovely aniselike flavor to this portable chicken salad.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- ¼ pound green beans
- ¼ pound new potatoes
- 3 scallions
- 1 lemon
- 1 or 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 ounce pea shoots
Make It Leaner
This salad is one of our leanest and cleanest. For an even brighter and lighter salad, add an extra squeeze of lemon juice and use only 1 teaspoon oil in the dressing to shave off 40 calories and 4.5 grams of fat per serving.
Many people think new potatoes are just a potato variety, but they actually are new. Freshly harvested, these spuds have thin skins and haven’t developed all their starches, which accounts for their denser texture.
Poach the chicken
While the chicken cooks and cools, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Trim the stem ends from the green beans; cut the beans on the diagonal into 1-inch lengths.
- Cut the potatoes crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; cut the scallions on the diagonal into 2-inch lengths.
Cook the green beans
While the green beans simmer, cook the potatoes and scallions.
Cook the potatoes and scallions
While the potatoes and scallions cook, prepare the tarragon-mustard dressing and the lettuce.
Make the tarragon-mustard dressing; assemble the salad
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate.
- Strip the tarragon leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
- Trim the root end from the butter lettuce; separate the leaves.
To the bowl with the dressing, add the shredded chicken, green beans, potatoes, and scallions and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Garnish with the pea shoots and serve.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 44g (88% DV), Fiber: 16.4g (66% DV), Total Fat: 20g (31% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 125mg (42% DV), Sodium: 580mg (24% DV), Carbohydrates: 21g (7% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.