Chicken and new potato lettuce cups with tarragon-mustard dressing
Gluten-Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
25 – 35 Minutes
Tarragon brings elegance and a lovely anise-like flavor to this portable and gluten-free mash-up of chicken and potato salads.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- ¼ pound green beans
- ¼ pound new potatoes
- 3 scallions
- 1 lemon
- 1 or 2 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 ounce pea shoots
Make It Leaner
For an even brighter and lighter salad, in Step 5, add an extra teaspoon of lemon juice and use only 1 teaspoon oil in the dressing to shave off 40 calories and 4.5 grams of fat from each serving.
Many people think new potatoes are a variety of potato, but they actually are just young. Freshly harvested, these spuds have thin skins and haven’t developed all their starches, which accounts for their denser texture and subtly sweeter flavor.
Poach the chicken
While the chicken cooks and cools, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Trim the stem ends from the green beans; cut the beans on the diagonal into 1-inch lengths.
- Cut the potatoes crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; cut the scallions on the diagonal into 2-inch lengths.
Cook the green beans
While the green beans cook, start the potatoes and scallions.
Cook the potatoes and scallions
While the potatoes and scallions cook, prepare the tarragon-mustard dressing.
Make the tarragon-mustard dressing; assemble the salad
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate.
- Strip the tarragon leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
- Trim the root end from the butter lettuce; separate the leaves.
Protein: 44g (88% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 20g (31% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 125mg (42% DV), Sodium: 470mg (20% DV), Carbohydrates: 21g (7% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).