Chicken and spaghetti with collards and caramelized onions
30 – 40 Minutes
This chicken dinner is so packed with comfort foods, you’ll want to curl up with your bowl on the couch.
- 5 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch collard greens (about ½ pound)
- 2 tablespoons roasted hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
We like to turn the chicken occasionally as it cooks because this helps to baste the meat from the inside out, distributing the juices more evenly and preventing it from drying out.
Cook the spaghetti
While the water heats and the spaghetti cooks, prepare the chicken.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the onion and garlic.
Prep and cook the onion and garlic
- Peel and thinly slice enough yellow onion to measure 1½ cups.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
While the onion cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; finish the spaghetti
- Strip the collard greens from the stems; cut the leaves crosswise into ¼-inch-wide strips.
- Coarsely chop the hazelnuts.
- Measure out 1 tablespoon Parmesan; set aside the rest for garnish.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Remove from the heat and stir in the hazelnuts, 1 tablespoon Parmesan, and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Protein: 56g (112% DV), Fiber: 14g (56% DV), Total Fat: 20g (31% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 130mg (43% DV), Sodium: 480mg (20% DV), Carbohydrates: 76g (25% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Tree Nuts, Wheat