In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken banh mi with garlicky-smashed cucumbers
2 Servings, 710 Calories/Serving
Our make-at-home banh mi is just as delicious as one you’d find in a sandwich shop, with a chicken filling that cooks up beautifully on the grill (or in a frying pan).
In your bag
- Southeast Asian quick-pickle brine (apple cider vinegar - honey - fish sauce)
- ¼ pound organic shredded carrots
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1 lime
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1½ teaspoons five-spice powder
- 2 ciabatta rolls
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 1 organic jalapeño or other fresh chile (optional)
- Sun Basket sambal mayo (paleo mayo - sambal oelek) (optional)
Calories: 710, Protein: 41g (82% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 28g (43% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 135mg (45% DV), Sodium: 1570mg (65% DV), Carbohydrates: 78g (26% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: (honey): 6g (12% DV).
Contains: Eggs, Fish, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Pickle the carrots
Smash the cucumber
- Trim the ends from the cucumber; cut the cucumber lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into 2-inch lengths.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure ¼ teaspoon [½ tsp].
- Juice the lime. [Juice 1 lime; save the remaining lime.]
Cook the chicken; toast the ciabatta
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper and the five-spice powder.
- Cut the ciabatta in half horizontally.
Return the pan to medium-high heat and warm the residual fat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, place the ciabatta, cut sides down, and cook until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
While the chicken cooks and cools, prepare the garnishes and sambal mayo.
Prep the garnishes; season the sambal mayo
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stems.
- If using the jalapeño, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; cut the jalapeño in half lengthwise, then crosswise into thin half-moons. Wash your hands after handling.
Assemble the banh mi
- Measure the garlic.
- Juice the lime.
- Smash the cucumber.
- Strip the cilantro leaves.