In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken breasts with Shirazi salad and black tahini dressing
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious
2 Servings, 500 Calories/Serving
Black tahini dressing? Persian-spiced chicken? Bring it on. We’re stoked about this low-carb meal inspired by a salad that’s everywhere in Shiraz, Iran.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 organic boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 to 4 organic boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- Sunbasket Persian spice blend (granulated garlic - turmeric - dried dill)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 organic cucumber
- 1 head organic green leaf or other lettuce
- 2 organic Roma or other tomatoes
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- Sunbasket black tahini dressing base (lemon juice - black tahini - garlic)
Calories 500, Total Fat 24g (31% DV), Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 80mg (27% DV), Sodium 290mg (13% DV), Total Carb. 40g (15% DV), Fiber 11g (39% DV), Total Sugars 10g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 36g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season with salt and pepper and the Persian spice blend.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking, turning occasionally, until firm and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes for thighs, 5 to 8 minutes for breasts. Transfer to a plate. Meanwhile, start preparing the salad.
Prep the salad ingredients
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure ¾ cup [1½ cups].
- Peel the cucumber, if desired; cut the cucumber into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Trim the root end from the lettuce; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Cut away the cores from the tomatoes; coarsely chop the tomatoes.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems.
Make the dressing; assemble the salad
- Set aside half the sumac for garnish.
In a large bowl, stir together the black tahini dressing base, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil, 1½ teaspoons [1 TBL] water, and half the sumac; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the chickpeas, onion, cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes, and parsley and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken and Shirazi salad to individual plates. Garnish the chicken with the remaining sumac and serve.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Measure the onion.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Divide the sumac in half.
- Assemble the salad.