Chicken Buddha bowls with black rice and chipotle mustard vinaigrette

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Chicken Buddha bowls with black rice and chipotle mustard vinaigrette

Our Dietitian's Favorite

Chicken Buddha bowls with black rice and chipotle mustard vinaigrette

Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, <600 Calories, Protein Plus

2 Servings, 600 Calories/Serving

30–45 Minutes

Healthy, meet delicious. These antioxidant-rich bowls are chock-full of good-for-you ingredients along with a great mix of flavors and textures.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • ¾ cup black rice
  • 6 ounces organic Brussels sprouts
  • 1 organic Fuji or other apple
  • ¼ pound organic mini sweet peppers
  • ¼ pound organic grape or cherry tomatoes
  • Chicken options:
  • 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
  • Sunbasket chipotle mustard vinaigrette (EVOO - whole grain Dijon mustard - onion - apple cider vinegar - tomato paste - kosher salt - chipotle chile powder)

Nutrition per serving

Calories 600, Total Fat 18g (23% DV), Sat. Fat 2.5g (13% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 115mg (38% DV), Sodium 350mg (15% DV), Total Carb. 78g (28% DV), Fiber 12g (43% DV), Total Sugars 14g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 39g

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Cook the rice

Heat the oven to 425°F.
In a small sauce pot, combine the black rice and 1¼ cups [2¼ cups] lightly salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes.
While the rice cooks, prepare the rest of the meal.


Prep the vegetables

  • Trim the stem ends from the Brussels sprouts; cut the sprouts into quarters.
  • Cut the apple lengthwise into quarters and cut away the core; cut each quarter lengthwise into ½-inch-thick slices, then crosswise into ½-inch cubes.
  • Remove the stems and seeds from the mini sweet peppers. Cut the peppers crosswise into ¼-inch-thick rings.
On one end of a sheet pan [on 1 sheet pan], toss the Brussels sprouts, apple, peppers, and tomatoes with 1 to 2 teaspoons oil; season generously with salt and pepper and spread in an even layer.


Prep the chicken

Prep and cook instructions are identical for both chicken options.
  • Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
On the other end of the sheet pan [on a 2nd sheet pan], drizzle the chicken with 1 to 2 teaspoons oil.


Roast the vegetables and chicken

Roast, stirring the vegetables and turning the chicken halfway through, until the vegetables are golden brown and the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to cool slightly, then cut the chicken crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Season the vegetables to taste with salt and pepper.


Transfer the rice to individual bowls and top with the chicken and vegetables. Drizzle each with 1 tablespoon chipotle mustard vinaigrette and serve the remaining vinaigrette on the side.
Kids Can!
  • Measure the water for the rice.
  • Time the rice.
  • Toss the vegetables and apple with oil, salt, and pepper.
  • Help assemble the Buddha bowls.
  • Drizzle the vinaigrette.