Chicken chile verde with jicama salad
Paleo, Gluten Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Tangy tomatillos and mild green chiles provide the signature color and rich yet mild savoriness of this paleo and gluten-free stew.
- Two 6-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion
- Chile verde spice blend (dried oregano - ground cumin - granulated garlic)
- ⅔ cup crushed tomatillos
- ⅓ cup diced mild green chiles
- ½ pound jicama sticks
- 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño (optional)
- 3 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
Make it Leaner: Omit the oil in the jicama salad and you will lower the calories by 70 and the fat by 7 grams per serving. Adding a little extra jalapeño and lime zest will help boost the flavor so you won’t miss the oil.
Poach the chicken
While the chicken cooks, prepare the chile verde.
Prep the onion; cook the chile verde
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
Stir in the shredded chicken and continue simmering until the sauce is the consistency of a thick stew, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the chile verde cooks, prepare the jicama salad.
Make the jicama salad
- Cut the jicama sticks into ½-inch pieces.
- Zest and juice the lime.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro. Set aside half for garnish.
- If using, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the jalapeño; coarsely chop the jalapeño. Wash your hands after handling.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 45g (90% DV), Fiber: 12g (48% DV), Total Fat: 26g (40% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 125mg (42% DV), Sodium: 600mg (25% DV), Carbohydrates: 32g (11% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.