Chicken chile verde with rice and jicama relish
Paleo-Friendly, Gluten Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Tomatillos and mild green chiles add sweetness to this paleo and gluten-free, family-friendly chicken dinner.
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 cup long-grain white rice*
- 4 chicken cutlets (about ¼ pound each)
- 1 yellow onion
- Chile verde spice blend (dried oregano - ground cumin - granulated garlic)
- 1⅓ cups crushed tomatillos
- ⅔ cup diced mild green chiles
- 1 pound jicama sticks
- 1 lime
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
When you have multiple pots and pans on the stove at the same time, such as the rice and chile verde in this recipe, organize your stovetop by setting what requires the most attention (the chile verde) closest to you and what requires the least attention (rice) on a back burner.
Cook the rice
While the rice cooks, prepare the chicken.
Poach the chicken
While the chicken cooks, prepare the chile verde.
Prep the onion; cook the chile verde
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
Stir in the shredded chicken and continue simmering until the sauce is the consistency of a thick stew, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the chile verde cooks, prepare the jicama relish.
Make the jicama relish
- Cut the jicama sticks into ½-inch pieces.
- Zest the lime.
- Juice the lime.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro. Set aside half for garnish.
- Using a fork, shred the chicken.
- Juice the lime.
- Stir the jicama relish and season to taste.
- Garnish the chile verde.
- Sweep the floor.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 33g (66% DV), Fiber: 12g (48% DV), Total Fat: 23g (35% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 85mg (28% DV), Sodium: 430mg (18% DV), Carbohydrates: 59g (20% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Paleo-strict nutrition per serving: Calories: 410, Protein: 30g (60% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 22g (34% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 85mg (28% DV), Sodium: 430mg (18% DV), Carbohydrates: 25g (8% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.