In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken chile verde with tomatillos and cabbage-celery slaw
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 430 Calories/Serving
Tangy tomatillos, mild green chiles, and our fragrant chili spice blend flavor this soul-warming chicken stew. With each dip of your spoon, you’ll be riding waves to comfort food town.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- Sunbasket chili spice blend (chili powder - coriander - cumin - sweet paprika - granulated garlic)
- Sunbasket tomatillo simmer sauce (tomatillos - green tomatoes - green chile peppers - onions - scallions - cilantro - pumpkin seeds - garlic - sesame seeds)
- 1 wedge organic green or other cabbage (about 7 ounces)
- 1 organic celery rib
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Calories 430, Total Fat 23g (29% DV), Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 80mg (27% DV), Sodium 220mg (10% DV), Total Carb. 25g (9% DV), Fiber 8g (29% DV), Total Sugars 8g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 34g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the chicken
In a medium sauce pot, add the chicken and enough water to cover by 2 inches, making sure the breasts or thighs are separated, and bring to a boil. Cook over high heat until opaque and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the chicken to a plate to cool. Reserve 1 cup [2 cups] chicken cooking water for the chile verde. Using a fork, shred the chicken. While the chicken is cooking and cooling, start the chile verde.
Prep the onion; cook the chile verde
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the chili spice blend and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatillo simmer sauce and reserved chicken cooking water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the shredded chicken and continue simmering until the mixture is the consistency of a thick stew, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. While the chile verde is cooking, prepare the slaw.
Make the cabbage-celery slaw
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Thinly slice the celery.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, celery, pumpkin seeds, apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil, and half the cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken chile verde to individual bowls. Garnish with the remaining cilantro and as much cabbage-celery slaw as you like. Serve the remaining slaw on the side.
- Shred the chicken.
- Measure the onion.
- Assemble the slaw.
- Add the garnishes.