In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken chop suey with shishito peppers, mushrooms, and scallions
Spicy, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
2 Servings, 610 Calories/Serving
We’ve supplied the secret sauce and sourced the shishito peppers and mushrooms. So all that’s left to do is cook your protein, toss in the veggies, heat up the rice, and dig into this Chinese-American favorite.
- In your bag:
- Jasmine rice
- Organic mushrooms
- Organic scallions
- Organic shishito peppers
- Your choice of protein
- Organic shredded carrots
- Sunbasket chop suey sauce (vegetable stock - tamari - water - coconut aminos - canola oil - garlic - ginger - sesame oil - red miso paste - arrowroot powder - dried plums - molasses - porcini powder - white pepper)
Calories: 610, Protein: 43g (86% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 19g (29% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 1280mg (53% DV), Carbohydrates: 68g (23% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugars: 1g (2% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Heat the rice
Choose your heating method
Our chefs think this cooks best in the microwave (for microwave option, heat just before serving while preparing Step 4).
- Microwave oven | 3–5 minutes
Transfer the rice to a microwave-safe dish and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] water. Place a damp paper towel over the top of the dish and microwave for 3 to 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Conventional oven | 15 minutes
Heat the oven to 425°F. Transfer the rice to an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] water. Cover with foil and bake for about 15 minutes, or until heated through.
Prep the vegetables
- Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions. Cut the white parts crosswise into 1-inch pieces; thinly slice the green parts on the diagonal, keeping the white and green parts separate.
- Remove the stem ends from the shishito peppers, if desired. Wash your hands after handling.
Cook your protein
Chicken, steak, or pork strips or plant-based chicken:
- Cut a small corner from the packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add your protein and cook until lightly browned and just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes for steak, pork, or plant-based chicken, 6 to 8 minutes for chicken.
- Rinse and drain the shrimp. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the shrimp and cook turning once, until firm and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side for regular shrimp, 2 to 3 minutes per side for jumbo shrimp.
- Rinse and drain the scallops. Pat dry on a paper-towel-lined plate. Season lightly with salt.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the scallops and cook without turning until golden brown on one side and starting to turn opaque, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn and continue cooking for about 30 seconds for translucent or 1 to 2 minutes for opaque.
- Pat the tofu dry with paper towels and cut it into ½-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the tofu and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.
Finish the chop suey
To the pan with your protein, add the white parts of the scallions, mushrooms, shishito peppers, and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the chop suey sauce and cook until your protein and the sauce is heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir in the green parts of the scallions.
Transfer the rice to individual plates, top with the chop suey, and serve.