In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken cordon bleu with prosciutto over creamy penne and spinach
Soy-Free, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 930 Calories/Serving
Crispy, golden chicken breasts stuffed with prosciutto, oozing with cheese, and served over creamy penne Alfredo—what’s not to like?
In your bag
- 7 ounces Talluto’s fresh whole wheat penne rigate
- 1 egg
- Sunbasket Parmesan panko (Parmesan - panko)
- 2 organic boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- ¼ cup Italian cheese blend (mozzarella - provolone)
- 3 ounces sliced prosciutto
- 1 organic leek
- 1 organic lemon
- 3 ounces organic baby spinach or other leafy greens
- Sunbasket Alfredo (almond milk - cashews - nutritional yeast - kosher salt - granulated garlic - onion powder - black pepper)
Calories 930, Total Fat 44g (56% DV), Sat. Fat 11g (55% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 290mg (97% DV), Sodium 1010mg (44% DV), Total Carb. 76g (28% DV), Fiber 10g (36% DV), Total Sugars 4g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 61g
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Tree Nuts (almond, cashew), Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Cook the penne rigate
Heat the oven to 350°F.
Bring a medium sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil. Separate the penne rigate so the noodles don’t clump together during cooking. Add the penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain the penne, reserving 1 cup [2 cups] pasta cooking water. Transfer the penne to a medium bowl; toss with 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] oil to keep the noodles from sticking. Wipe out the pot. While the water is heating and the penne is cooking, prepare the chicken.
Stuff and bread the chicken
- Crack the egg into a shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. Lightly beat with a fork until just blended.
- On a plate or shallow bowl, season the Parmesan panko with salt and pepper and spread in an even layer.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut a 2- to 3-inch pocket lengthwise along one side of each breast, being careful not to cut all the way through the meat. Season with salt and pepper.
Using your hands or a spoon, stuff each breast with half [one-fourth] of the Italian cheese blend and prosciutto, then lightly press the sides of the breast together. Working with 1 chicken breast at a time, dip it into the egg; let the excess drip off, then lightly press the chicken into the Parmesan panko, coating all sides and shaking off any excess.
Cook the chicken
In a large ovenproof frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast until the chicken is browned and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Meanwhile, make the sauce and finish the penne.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Trim the root end from the leek; cut the leek in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons. Soak the half-moons in a medium bowl of cold water, stirring occasionally to loosen any dirt, and allow the dirt to settle at the bottom. Skim the leek from the surface of the water and pat dry.
- Juice half the lemon; cut the remaining half into wedges for garnish. [Juice 1 lemon; cut the remaining lemon into wedges.]
Cook the sauce; finish the penne
In the same pot used for the penne, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the leek, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Working in batches if needed, stir in the spinach and cook until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the Alfredo, penne rigate, and ¾ cup [1½ cups] reserved pasta cooking water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and the penne is heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add more pasta cooking water if the sauce is dry. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper and the lemon juice.
Transfer the penne and sauce to individual plates. Top with the chicken cordon bleu and serve with the lemon wedges.
- Fill a pot with salted water for the penne rigate.
- Season the Parmesan panko; spread in an even layer.
- Soak the leek and pat dry.
- Juice the lemon.
- Time the cooking.