Chicken cutlets with piccata sauce and apple-brassica salad

In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.

Chicken cutlets with piccata sauce and apple-brassica salad

20-Minute Meal

Chicken cutlets with piccata sauce and apple-brassica salad

Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Protein Plus

2 Servings, 690 Calories/Serving

20 Minutes

An Italian-American classic, piccata sauce brims with bright lemon and briny capers. Dusting the chicken with arrowroot powder instead of breading keeps them crisp, paleo, and ready in just 20 minutes.

Get delicious recipes with organic produce and clean ingredients delivered

View our meal plans

In your bag

1 bag serves 2 (2 bags serve 4)
Sunbasket is proud to source the organic ingredients indicated below. On the rare occasion we are unable to meet our organic promise, we'll put a note in your bag.
  • 4 chicken cutlets (about ¼ pound each)
  • ¼ cup arrowroot powder
  • ¼ pound Brussels sprouts
  • 1 apple (such as Braeburn or another red apple)
  • 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • Sunbasket slaw dressing base (red onion - red wine vinegar - fresh garlic)
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 tablespoon capers

Nutrition per serving

Calories 690, Total Fat 20g (26% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 165mg (55% DV), Sodium 350mg (15% DV), Total Carb. 66g (24% DV), Fiber 11g (39% DV), Total Sugars 18g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 57g

Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten.

*Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.


2-serving instructions (4-serving modifications in red)

Wash produce before use


Prep and cook the chicken

  • Pat the chicken cutlets dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
  • In a shallow bowl or plate, spread the arrowroot powder in an even layer and season with salt and pepper.
Dredge the chicken in the arrowroot powder, turning to coat; shake off any excess. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons [2 to 3 TBL] oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown, firm, and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Add more oil between batches if the pan is dry. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the salad.


Make the salad

  • Trim the stem ends from the Brussels sprouts; thinly slice the sprouts crosswise.
  • Cut the apple into quarters lengthwise and cut away the core; thinly slice the fruit.
  • Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for the piccata sauce.
In a large bowl, stir together the slaw dressing base and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the Brussels sprouts, apple, and half the parsley and toss to combine. Let stand while you prepare the piccata sauce.


Make the piccata sauce

  • Measure ½ cup [1 cup] vegetable broth; save the rest for another use.
  • Zest the lemon. Cut the lemon into wedges for garnish.
In the same pan used for the chicken, add the broth and ¼ cup white wine, if using. Bring to a boil, reduce to a vigorous simmer, and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the lemon zest and capers, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lemon zest is fragrant and the sauce is slightly more thickened, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining parsley; season to taste with salt and pepper.


Transfer the chicken and salad to individual plates. Top the chicken with the piccata sauce and serve with the lemon wedges.
Kids Can!
  • Spread and season the arrowroot powder.
  • Strip the parsley leaves from the stems.
  • Stir together the slaw dressing.
  • Toss the salad.
  • Measure the vegetable broth.