In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken fajitas with chipotle rice, jicama sticks, and guacamole
Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Spicy, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 850 Calories/Serving
Adventure awaits with this Tex-Mex roadhouse classic! Savor juicy spiced chicken, bright lime-jicama sticks, and rice tussled with our spicy chipotle dressing.
In your bag
- ½ cup basmati rice
- Sunbasket Mayan chipotle dressing (coconut palm nectar - chipotle chile in gluten-free adobo - canola oil - lime juice - water - red wine vinegar - garlic)
- 1 organic red or other bell pepper
- 1 organic white onion
- Sunbasket fajita spice blend (cumin - dried Mexican oregano - ancho chile powder - granulated garlic)
- Chicken options:
- 2 organic boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 to 4 organic boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 1 organic jicama (about ½ pound)
- 1 organic lime
- 6 Mi Rancho Artisan tortillas
- ½ cup guacamole
Calories 850, Total Fat 22g (28% DV), Sat. Fat 3g (15% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 80mg (27% DV), Sodium 1050mg (46% DV), Total Carb. 120g (44% DV), Fiber 21g (75% DV), Total Sugars 12g (Incl. 1g Added Sugars, 2% DV), Protein 43g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the rice
- Rinse the rice.
In a small sauce pot, combine the rice and 1 cup [1½ cups] lightly salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, stir in the chipotle dressing, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the chicken and vegetables.
Prep the chicken and vegetables
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; cut the pepper into ¼-inch-wide strips.
- Peel and cut enough onion into ¼-inch-thick slices to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Set aside half the fajita spice blend for the vegetables.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season the chicken with salt and pepper and half the fajita spice blend.
Cook the chicken and vegetables
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side for thighs, 4 to 6 minutes per side for breasts. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly, then cut the chicken into ½-inch-thick slices. Do not clean the pan.
In the same pan used for the chicken, if dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the bell pepper and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the remaining fajita spice blend and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan if using for the tortillas. While the chicken and vegetables are cooking, prepare the jicama.
Prep the jicama
- Using a sharp knife or a peeler, remove the peel from the jicama; cut the white flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices, then cut the slices lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick sticks.
- Zest and juice ½ lime; cut the remaining half into wedges for garnish. [Zest and juice 1 lime; cut the remaining lime into wedges.]
In a medium bowl, toss together the jicama, lime zest, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt.
Warm the tortillas
On the stovetop directly over a flame, or in the same pan used for the chicken and vegetables over medium heat, warm the tortillas, turning once, until just pliable and warmed through, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a clean kitchen towel, cover, and keep warm.
Set out the rice, chicken, vegetables, jicama, tortillas, guacamole, and lime wedges. Invite everyone to assemble their own fajitas.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the water for the rice.
- Measure the onion.
- Juice the lime.
- Toss the jicama with lime zest and juice.