Chicken fajitas with cucumber-radish salsa
Gluten Free, Soy Free
30 - 40 Minutes
Radishes and cucumbers make an exceptionally crisp salsa for these Tex-Mex fajitas. Sautéed bell peppers are a traditional accompaniment, perfect for wrapping up in the tortillas with the mildly smoky chicken. We’ve cranked up the heat with the addition of a serrano chile. But you can temper the dish by using as much or as little of it as you like. If anyone in your family can’t tolerate even mildly spicy food, omit both the serrano and the fajita spice blend.
- 12 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 serrano chile (optional)
- 1¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast strips
- Chicken fajita spice blend (ancho chile powder - granulated garlic - cumin - sweet smoked paprika)
- 1 or 2 Persian cucumbers
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 limes
- 2 scallions
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
Warm the tortillas
Lay a damp kitchen towel on a sheet pan. Arrange the tortillas on one end of the towel, overlapping them slightly; cover them with the other end of the towel. Heat in the oven until warmed through and just pliable, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand, covered, until ready to use.
While the tortillas heat, prep and cook the vegetables and chicken.
Prep and cook the vegetables
- Remove the stems, seeds, and ribs from the red and yellow bell peppers; cut the bell peppers into ¼-inch-wide strips.
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion.
- If using, trim off the top and thinly slice the serrano crosswise. Wash your hands after handling.
While the vegetables cook, prepare the chicken.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. In a medium bowl, toss the chicken with the chicken fajita spice blend and season generously with salt.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the salsa and garnishes.
Prep the cucumber salsa and garnishes
- Trim the ends from the cucumbers; cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise, then on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut the radishes in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Juice 1 lime.
- Cut 1 lime into wedges for garnish.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal for garnish.
Ingredient IQ: Fajita derives from the Spanish word faja, meaning “belt” or “sash.” Mexican ranch workers who created the dish named it after the belt-like skirt steak, which was the original cut of choice.
- Arrange the tortillas for warming.
- Juice the lime.
- Stir together the cucumber salsa.
- Set the table.
- Serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 530, Protein: 41g, Total Fat: 20g, Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 2.5g, Cholesterol: 105mg, Carbohydrates: 48g, Fiber: 9g, 36% Sugar: 8g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 220mg