Chicken katsu with bok choy and jade rice
25 – 35 Minutes
An easy-to-make riff on crispy chicken nuggets, these Japanese-style cutlets are served with jade rice and our (optional) spicy chile mayonnaise.
- 1 cup jade rice
- Four ¼-pound boneless skinless chicken cutlets
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat panko
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Fresh ginger
- 3 or 4 heads baby bok choy
- Fresh cilantro
- 1½ teaspoons sesame oil
- Sun Basket spicy chile mayonnaise (Primal Kitchen paleo mayonnaise - Mother-in-Law’s gochujang chile paste)
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the chicken.
Prep the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- In separate shallow bowls or plates, spread the flour and panko in an even layer.
- Crack the egg into another shallow bowl. With a whisk or fork, lightly beat until just blended.
Cook the chicken
While the chicken cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; cook the bok choy
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Trim the root end from the bok choy; cut the bok choy crosswise into 1-inch pieces.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro for garnish.
- Rinse the rice.
- Spread the flour and panko in bowls.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Measure out the garlic and ginger.
- Set the table.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 770, Protein: 47g, Total Fat: 38g, Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 19g, Cholesterol: 120mg, Carbohydrates: 67g, Fiber: 12g, Sugar: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 840mg
Contains: soy, wheat, eggs