In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken Kiev and romaine salad with hard-cooked eggs and Russian dressing
Gluten-Free Friendly, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Carb-Conscious, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 700 Calories/Serving
Chicken Kiev is a dish for the ages. There’s just something about tender, juicy chicken stuffed with fragrant herbs and baked in a golden, crispy crust.
In your bag
- 2 rounded tablespoons ghee
- 2 organic eggs
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- Sunbasket paleo “bread crumbs” (almond meal - flaxseed meal - granulated garlic - onion powder - sweet smoked paprika)
- 2 organic boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic romaine heart or other lettuce
- 3 ounces organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 3 organic scallions
- Sunbasket Russian dressing (paleo mayo - tomato paste - capers - onion - maple syrup - lemon juice - apple cider vinegar - Dijon mustard - kosher salt - black pepper)
Nutrition per serving
Calories 700, Total Fat 54g (69% DV), Sat. Fat 17g (85% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 285mg (95% DV), Sodium 450mg (20% DV), Total Carb. 19g (7% DV), Fiber 9g (32% DV), Total Sugars 7g (Incl. 2g Added Sugars, 4% DV), Protein 38g
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Tree Nuts (almond)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Hard-cook the egg
Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Let the ghee come to room temperature.
- Set aside 1 egg [2 eggs] for the chicken.
Bring a small sauce pot of water to a boil and fill a small bowl with ice water. Carefully lower 1 egg [2 eggs] into the boiling water and cook for 10 to 12 minutes for hard-cooked. Transfer the egg to the ice water to cool. Carefully peel the egg. While the egg is cooking and cooling, prepare the herb stuffing.
Make the herb stuffing
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] parsley for garnish.
In a small bowl, using a fork or the back of a spoon, mash the ghee, dill, and all except 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] parsley into a paste; season with salt and pepper.
Stuff and “bread” the chicken
- Crack the remaining egg [2 eggs] into a shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. Lightly beat with a fork until just blended.
- On a plate or shallow bowl, season the paleo “bread crumbs” with salt and pepper and spread in an even layer.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut a 2- to 3-inch pocket lengthwise along one side of each breast, being careful not to cut all the way through the meat. Season with salt and pepper.
Using your hands or a spoon, stuff each breast with half [one-fourth] of the herb stuffing, then lightly press the sides of the breast together. Working with 1 chicken breast at a time, dip it into the egg mixture; let the excess drip off, then lightly press the chicken into the “bread crumbs,” coating all sides and shaking off any excess.
Cook the chicken
In a large ovenproof frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to the oven and roast until the chicken is browned and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. If desired, transfer the chicken to a cutting board and cut in half on the diagonal. While the chicken is roasting and resting, prepare the salad ingredients.
Prep the salad ingredients
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart; separate the leaves.
- Cut the tomatoes in half.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal.
- Coarsely chop the hard-cooked egg.
Transfer the chicken Kiev to individual plates and garnish with the remaining parsley. Serve with as many romaine leaves as you like, garnished with the tomatoes, scallions, egg, and Russian dressing.
- Peel the hard-cooked egg.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Mix the herb stuffing.
- Separate the romaine leaves.
- Garnish the chicken Kiev and romaine leaves.