In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken Kiev with butter lettuce salad and Russian dressing
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 600 Calories/Serving
Chicken Kiev is a dish for the ages. There’s just somethin’ about tender, juicy chicken stuffed with fragrant herbs and baked in a golden, crispy-coated crust.
In your bag
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 organic eggs
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- Sunbasket paleo “bread crumbs” (almond meal - flaxseed meal - granulated garlic - onion powder - sweet smoked paprika)
- 2 organic boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 organic romaine heart or other lettuce
- 3 organic scallions
- Sunbasket Russian dressing (paleo mayo - tomato paste - capers - onion - maple syrup - lemon juice - apple cider vinegar - Dijon mustard - kosher salt - black pepper)
Calories 600, Total Fat 45g (58% DV), Sat. Fat 19g (95% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 250mg (83% DV), Sodium 430mg (19% DV), Total Carb. 15g (5% DV), Fiber 5g (18% DV), Total Sugars 5g (Incl. 2g Added Sugars, 4% DV), Protein 35g
Contains: Eggs, Tree Nuts (almond, coconut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Soften the coconut oil; hard-cook the egg
Heat the oven to 400°F.
- If the coconut oil is cold, set out to soften slightly.
- Set aside 1 egg [2 eggs] for the chicken.
Bring a small sauce pot of water to a boil and fill a small bowl with ice water. Carefully lower 1  of the eggs into the boiling water and cook for 10 to 12 minutes for hard-cooked. Transfer the egg to the ice water to cool. Carefully peel the egg. While the egg is cooking and cooling, prepare the herb stuffing.
Make the herb stuffing
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] parsley for garnish.
In a small bowl, using a fork or the back of a spoon, mash the coconut oil, dill, and all except 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] parsley into a paste; season with salt and pepper.
Stuff and “bread” the chicken
- Crack the remaining egg [2 eggs] into a shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. Lightly beat with a fork until just blended.
- On a plate or shallow bowl, season the paleo “bread crumbs” with salt and pepper and spread in an even layer.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut a 2- to 3-inch pocket lengthwise along one side of each breast, being careful not to cut all the way through the meat. Season with salt and pepper.
Using your hands or a spoon, stuff each breast with half [one-fourth] of the herb stuffing, then lightly press the sides of the breast together. Working with 1 chicken breast at a time, dip it into the egg; let the excess drip off, then lightly press the chicken into the “bread crumbs,” coating all sides; shake off any excess.
Cook the chicken
In a large ovenproof frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to the oven and roast until the chicken is browned and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. If desired, transfer the chicken to a cutting board and cut in half on the diagonal. While the chicken is roasting and resting, prepare the salad ingredients.
Prep the salad ingredients
- Trim the root end from the romaine; separate the leaves.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal.
- Coarsely chop the hard-cooked egg.
Transfer the chicken Kiev to individual plates and garnish with the remaining parsley. Serve with as many romaine leaves as you like, garnished with the scallions, egg, and Russian dressing.
- Peel the hard-cooked egg.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Mix the herb stuffing.
- Separate the romaine leaves.
- Garnish the chicken Kiev and romaine leaves.