In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken Marbella with olives, dates, and chicory
Mediterranean, Dairy-Free, Paleo, Carb-Conscious, Lean & Clean, Gluten-Free, Diabetes-Friendly, Soy-Free
2 Servings, 410 Calories/Serving
Our paleo spin on chicken Marbella, the tasty throwback made famous by the 1980s cookbook The Silver Palate, features a briny n’ sweet combo of capers, olives, and dates.
In your bag
- 1 head organic radicchio or other chicory lettuce
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1½ ounces pitted dates
- 1½ ounces pitted Spanish green olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Sunbasket Marbella base (red wine vinegar - coconut sugar)
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
Calories: 410, Protein: 30g (60% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 22g (34% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 135mg (45% DV), Sodium: 660mg (28% DV), Carbohydrates: 26g (9% DV), Total Sugars: 16g, Added Sugars: 2g (4% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts (coconut)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the radicchio; prep and brown the chicken
- Fill a medium bowl with ice water. Cut the radicchio into quarters lengthwise, keeping the core intact. Submerge the radicchio in the ice water for at least 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the chicken and sauce.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan. While the chicken is browning, prepare the sauce ingredients.
Prep the sauce ingredients
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Cut the dates into ¼-inch-thick slices, checking for any pits.
- Coarsely chop the olives, checking for any pits.
Cook the sauce; finish the chicken
In the same pan used for the chicken, if dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons oil. Warm over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Stir in the garlic, capers, and Marbella base and cook, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the chicken and any accumulated juices, dates, oregano, and ½ cup [1 cup] white wine (from your pantry) or water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; add the olives and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] butter (from your pantry), if using, and stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. While the chicken and sauce are cooking, prepare the radicchio.
Cook the radicchio
- Remove the radicchio from the ice water, rinse with fresh water, and pat thoroughly dry with a paper towel or kitchen towel.
In another large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the radicchio, cut sides down, and cook until lightly browned and slightly wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and cook until the outer leaves start to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more oil between batches if needed.
Transfer the chicken and sauce and radicchio to individual plates and serve.
- Fill a bowl with ice water.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Measure the garlic.
- Time the cooking.
- Rinse the radicchio and pat dry.