Chicken Marbella with dates and chicories
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo
20 – 35 Minutes
In Sun Basket’s paleo spin on the classic party dish from the iconic cookbook The Silver Palate, coconut sugar and dates help naturally sweeten the dish.
In your bag
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken thigh pieces
- 3 or 4 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1½ ounces dates (with pits)
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- 2 ounces pitted Castelvetrano olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- Marbella sauce base (red wine vinegar - coconut sugar)
- ½ head chicory lettuce (such as escarole or radicchio)
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
Make It Ahead
To get dinner on the table even faster, in Step 1, start searing the chicken while you continue prepping the remaining ingredients.
Prep the chicken and sauce ingredients
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Pull the dates away from their pits; cut the fruit into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Strip the oregano leaves from stems; coarsely chop enough leaves to measure ½ teaspoon [1 tsp]. Save the rest for another use.
- Coarsely chop the olives.
Sear the chicken
Cook the sauce; finish the chicken
Add the chicken and any accumulated juices, dates, oregano, and ½ cup [1 cup] white wine, if using, or water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; add the olives and 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] butter, if using, and stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the chicken simmers, prepare the chicory lettuce.
Cook the chicory lettuce; prep the garnish
- Trim the root end from the chicory lettuce, keeping the bunch intact; cut the lettuce in half lengthwise. Season with salt and pepper, including in between the leaves.
- Remove any coarse stems from the parsley.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Pull the dates away from their pits.
- Strip the oregano leaves.
- Remove the coarse stems from the parsley.
- Garnish with the parsley.
Calories: 600, Protein: 32g (64% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 40g (62% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 24g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 115mg (38% DV), Sodium: 730mg (30% DV), Carbohydrates: 27g (9% DV), Total Sugars: 18g, Added Sugars: (Coconut Sugar): 2g (4% DV).
Contains: Tree Nuts
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.