In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken meatballs with caramelized onions and carrot-parsnip salad
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 590 Calories/Serving
Turn your kitchen into the hottest eatery in town with Chef Josh’s easy recipe for roasted fennel-infused meatballs and a bright and tangy root vegetable salad.
In your bag
- 10 ounces ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- Your choice of protein
- 1 organic egg
- Sunbasket paleo “bread crumbs” (almond meal - flaxseed meal - granulated garlic - onion powder - sweet smoked paprika)
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 organic carrot
- 1 organic parsnip
- 3 ounces organic baby arugula or other leafy greens
- Sunbasket caper vinaigrette (extra virgin olive oil - capers - red wine vinegar - Dijon mustard - garlic)
Calories 590, Total Fat 36g (46% DV), Sat. Fat 4.5g (23% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 165mg (55% DV), Sodium 400mg (17% DV), Total Carb. 38g (14% DV), Fiber 13g (46% DV), Total Sugars 12g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 34g
Contains: Eggs, Tree Nuts (almond)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the meatballs
Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Finely chop the fennel seeds.
- Cut a small corner from the ground meat packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large bowl, using a fork or whisk, blend the egg with the paleo “bread crumbs” and fennel seeds. Add 1 tablespoon [2 TBL] white wine (from your pantry) or water. Add the ground meat, season generously with salt and pepper, and mix until just combined. (For easier handling, set the bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up the meat mixture.) Using wet hands, form the mixture into 1-inch meatballs. On one end of a sheet pan [on 1 sheet pan], drizzle 1 teaspoon [2 tsp] oil and arrange the meatballs about 1 inch apart.
Prep the onion
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
On the other end of the sheet pan [on a 2nd sheet pan], toss the onion with 1 to 2 teaspoons oil, season with salt and pepper, and spread in an even layer.
Roast the meatballs and onion
Roast, stirring the meatballs and onion halfway through, until the meatballs are lightly browned and cooked through and the onion starts to caramelize, 18 to 22 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Peel or scrub the carrot and trim the ends. Lay the carrot flat; using a peeler, shave the carrot lengthwise into thin ribbons. Repeat with the parsnip.
In a medium bowl, toss together the carrot, parsnip, arugula, and as much caper vinaigrette as you like (set aside any remaining vinaigrette for serving). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the meatballs, onion, and salad to individual plates and serve any remaining vinaigrette on the side.
- Toss the onion with oil and season.
- Scrub the carrot and parsnip.
- Assemble the salad.