In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken Milanese with charred lemon and insalata romana
2 Servings, 710 Calories/Serving
Charred lemon slices dress up these simple yet elegant Northern Italian–inspired pan-fried chicken breasts, alongside a bright lemony green salad.
In your bag
- 1 organic lemon
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup whole wheat panko
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- 1 organic red onion
- ½ ounce pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 organic romaine heart
- Italian dressing base (champagne vinegar - honey - Parmesan - fresh parsley - fresh garlic - red chile flakes - dried oregano)
For even more slender chicken cutlets, in Step 1, after cutting the chicken breasts into cutlets but before seasoning them with salt and pepper, place 1 or 2 cutlets at a time between 2 sheets of plastic wrap, sprinkling the meat with a few drops of water. Pound with a rolling pin or a heavy frying pan to flatten the cutlets to an even thickness.
Calories: 710, Protein: 48g (96% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 40g (62% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 39g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 5g (25% DV), Cholesterol: 200mg (67% DV), Sodium: 300mg (13% DV), Carbohydrates: 35g (12% DV), Total Sugars: 8g, Added Sugars: (honey): 2g (4% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the chicken
- Zest the lemon; juice half and thinly slice half into rounds. Set aside the juice for the salad and the rounds for charring. [Zest and juice 1 lemon; thinly slice the remaining lemon into rounds.]
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for garnish.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; cut each breast in half horizontally to form 2 cutlets, for a total of 4  cutlets. Season the cutlets generously with salt and pepper.
- On a plate or shallow bowl, season the flour with salt and pepper; spread in an even layer.
- On a separate plate or shallow bowl, season the panko with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the lemon zest and half the parsley; spread in an even layer.
- Crack the egg into a third shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. With a whisk or fork, lightly beat until just blended.
Char the lemon slices; cook the chicken
In the same pan over medium heat, warm 2 to 3 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if needed, add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add more oil between batches if needed.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure ½ cup [¾ cup].
- Cut the olives in half lengthwise.
- Trim the root end from the romaine; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Juice the lemon.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Prepare the flour and panko mixtures.
- Measure the onion.
- Toss the salad.