Chicken Parmesan with tomato-olive sauce and whole wheat spaghetti
35 – 45 Minutes
In our family-friendly take on this Italian-American favorite, chicken breasts are crisped in panko bread crumbs and baked under a gooey layer of Italian cheeses.
In your bag
- 10 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 or 3 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1½ tablespoons coconut sugar (optional)
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 4 chicken cutlets (about ¼ pound each)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat panko
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- ¾ cup shredded Italian cheese blend (mozzarella - provolone)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh basil
Although it sounds like it comes straight out of an Italian kitchen, chicken Parmesan is actually an American riff on melanzane alla parmigiana, a popular southern Italian dish of breaded eggplant layered with tomato sauce and cheese.
Calories: 810, Protein: 51g (102% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 30g (46% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 35g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV), Cholesterol: 180mg (60% DV), Sodium: 680mg (28% DV), Carbohydrates: 86g (29% DV), Total Sugars: 5g, Added Sugars: (Coconut sugar in trace amounts): 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Tree Nuts, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ½ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.