Chicken Parmesan with tomato-basil sauce and spaghetti
35 - 45 Minutes
In this collaboration between Sun Basket and Food Network Chef Tyler Florence, we’ve updated this beloved Italian-American casserole with a heaping serving of Edison Grainery’s quinoa spaghetti. It not only boosts the amount of protein but also has a wonderful flavor. Bake the chicken with the tomato sauce and cheese until browned and bubbling for a hearty, gooey, and satisfying dish that will become a family favorite.
- ½ pound Edison Grainery gluten-free quinoa spaghetti
- 1 yellow onion
- Peeled fresh garlic
- ½ cup Kalamata olives
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1½ tablespoons coconut sugar (optional)
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Four ¼-pound boneless skinless chicken cutlets
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
- ¾ cup shredded Italian cheese blend (mozzarella - provolone)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- Fresh basil
Cook the spaghetti
Bring a large sauce pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
While the water heats and the spaghetti cooks, make the tomato sauce.
Prep and cook the tomato sauce
- Peel and coarsely chop enough yellow onion to measure 1 cup.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons.
- Coarsely chop the olives.
While the sauce simmers, prepare the chicken.
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; cut each in half lengthwise to make a total of 4 thin cutlets. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- In separate shallow bowls or plates, spread the flour and panko.
- Crack the eggs into a shallow bowl. With a whisk or fork, lightly beat until just blended.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 to 3 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. In batches if needed, add the chicken and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side (the chicken will finish cooking in the oven). Transfer to a plate.
Bake the chicken
While the chicken bakes, prepare the basil.
Prep the basil
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Prepare the flour and panko for dredging.
- Sprinkle on the cheeses.
- Strip and tear the basil leaves.
- Practice their Italian accents.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 700, Protein: 43g, Total Fat: 27g, Monounsaturated Fat: 15g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 150mg, Carbohydrates: 69g, Fiber: 7g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 810mg
Contains: milk, wheat, eggs