Chicken Parmesan with tomato-olive sauce and spinach-walnut salad
35 - 45 Minutes
While chicken Parmesan may sound like it came straight out of an Italian kitchen, it’s actually an American riff on the classic Italian dish melanzane alla Parmigiana, made with breaded eggplant. For the simple side salad, toss the red onion slices with some of the dressing beforehand to soften and sweeten them.
- 1 red onion
- Sun Basket house dressing (olive oil - balsamic vinegar - Dijon mustard - fresh garlic)
- Peeled fresh garlic
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ tablespoons coconut sugar (optional)
- Two 6-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat panko
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- 2 ounces shredded Italian cheese blend (mozzarella - provolone)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan (optional)
- Fresh basil
- 3 ounces baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons walnut pieces
Prep the red onion
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion; set aside half for the tomato sauce.
Prep and cook the tomato sauce
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Coarsely chop the olives.
While the sauce simmers, prepare the chicken.
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
- In separate shallow bowls or plates, spread the flour and panko.
- Crack the egg into a shallow bowl. With a whisk or fork, lightly beat until just blended.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken; cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Bake the chicken
While the chicken bakes, prepare the basil and salad.
Chop the basil; dress the salad
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside for garnish.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 910, Protein: 55 g, Total Fat: 59 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 32 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 11 g, Saturated Fat: 11 g, Cholesterol: 195 mg, Carbohydrates: 34 g, Fiber: 4 g, Added Sugar (coconut sugar): 0 g, Sodium: 970 mg
Contains: eggs, milk, wheat, tree nuts