In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken Parmesan with house salad
2 Servings, 800 Calories/Serving
This Sunbasket riff on an Italian-American classic combines hearty, gooey, and satisfying with breaded chicken, fresh-cooked tomato sauce, and a green salad.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- Sunbasket house dressing (EVOO - balsamic vinegar - garlic - Dijon mustard - kosher salt)
- Sunbasket tomato sauce base (tomatoes - tomato paste - garlic)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Sunbasket Parmesan panko (Parmesan - panko)
- 1 organic egg
- 1½ ounces shredded Italian cheese blend (mozzarella - provolone)
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh Thai or Italian basil
- 3 ounces organic baby kale or other leafy greens
Calories: 800, Protein: 55g (110% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 41g (63% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 23g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 10g (50% DV), Cholesterol: 200mg (67% DV), Sodium: 850mg (35% DV), Carbohydrates: 47g (16% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the onion
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups]; set aside half for the tomato sauce.
Cook the tomato sauce
While the tomato sauce simmers, start preparing the chicken.
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
- On separate plates or shallow bowls, season the flour and Parmesan panko with salt and pepper and spread in an even layer.
- Crack the egg into a shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. With a fork or whisk, lightly beat until just blended.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
Assemble and bake the chicken Parmesan
When the chicken is almost done, prepare the basil and the salad.
Prep the basil; assemble the salad
- Strip the basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
- Measure the onion.
- Stir the house dressing and onion.
- Season and spread the flour and Parmesan panko.
- Strip the basil leaves.
- Assemble the salad.