In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken piccata with fresh whole wheat penne and kale
Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 720 Calories/Serving
Piccata, the name for both a sauce and a dish (and fun to say), is easy to make and full of flavor—a chicken and pasta dinner that’s great for any occasion.
In your bag
- 7 ounces fresh whole wheat penne
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast strips
- 1 or 2 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1 organic lemon
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 ounces organic shredded kale or other leafy greens
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon capers
Calories 720, Total Fat 29g (37% DV), Sat. Fat 6g (30% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 190mg (63% DV), Sodium 680mg (30% DV), Total Carb. 68g (25% DV), Fiber 9g (32% DV), Total Sugars 2g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 49g
Contains: Milk, Eggs, Wheat
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Cook the penne
While the water heats and the penne cooks, prepare the chicken.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients; cook the kale
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon [2 tsp].
- Zest and juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate. Set aside for the piccata. [Zest both lemons and juice 1 lemon; save the remaining zested lemon.]
- Divide the Parmesan into two equal portions, one for finishing the piccata and one for garnish.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
Make the piccata sauce; finish the dish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, chicken broth, lemon zest, capers, 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] white wine (from your pantry) or water, and 2 tablespoons [¼ cup] melted butter (from your pantry) or oil until combined.
Stir in the kale, chicken, penne, reserved pasta cooking water, and half the Parmesan and cook over medium heat until the kale and chicken are warmed through and the penne is coated with the sauce, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Juice the lemon.
- Divide the Parmesan.
- Strip the parsley leaves.
- Garnish with the parsley and Parmesan.