Chicken pozole verde with tomatillos and green chiles
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy-Free
20 – 35 Minutes
Holy pozole! This clean-eater's version of a Mexican classic is as healthy as it is delicious, relying on mild green chiles and an (optional) spicy jalapeño for big flavor.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion or shallots
- 2 or 3 cloves organic peeled fresh garlic
- 1 organic jalapeño or other fresh chile such as Fresno (optional)
- 1 cup cooked hominy
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 6 ounces crushed tomatillos
- ¼ cup diced mild green chiles
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1 organic lime
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
Make It Leaner
Skip the pumpkin seeds and you’ll drop 50 calories and 4.5 grams of fat from each serving. Turn the dish into 3  servings and you’ll shed 140 calories and 6 grams of fat from each portion.
A popular ingredient in Mexico and the American South, hominy is made from whole corn kernels soaked in an alkaline solution and then washed. The process, which is called nixtamalization, improves the nutritional value of the kernels. You might also know ground hominy as masa or hominy grits.
Make It Ahead
The pozole (Steps 1 through 3) can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, gently rewarm the pozole, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons water to thin the broth if needed, and prepare the garnishes (Step 4).
Calories: 430, Protein: 36g (72% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 18g (28% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 115mg (38% DV), Sodium: 470mg (20% DV), Carbohydrates: 33g (11% DV), Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.