Chicken pozole verde with tomatillos and green chiles
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Lean & Clean
20 – 30 Minutes
Holy pozole! This clean eater's version of a Mexican classic relies on mild green chiles and optional spicy poblano for big flavor that is as healthy as it is delicious.
In your bag
- 1 red onion
- 2 or 3 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 1 poblano (optional)
- 1 cup cooked hominy
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken thigh pieces
- 6 ounces crushed tomatillos
- ¼ cup diced mild green chiles
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
To get dinner on the table even faster, in Step 1, start prepping and cooking the chicken while you prepare the pozole ingredients.
Make It Leaner
Skip the pumpkin seeds and you’ll drop 50 calories and 4.5 grams of fat from each serving. Turn the dish into 3 servings, and you’ll shed 140 calories and 6 grams of fat from each.
A popular ingredient in Mexico and the American South, hominy is made from whole corn kernels soaked in an alkaline solution and then washed. The process, which is called nixtamalization, improves the nutritional value of the kernels. You might also know ground hominy as masa or hominy grits.
Prep the pozole ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop the red onion; set aside ¼ cup for garnish.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 2 teaspoons.
- If using the poblano, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; coarsely chop the poblano. Wash your hands after handling.
- Rinse the hominy.
Sear the chicken
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Cook the pozole
Add the hominy, tomatillos, green chiles, oregano, chicken and any accumulated juices, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
When the pozole is almost done, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stems. Strip the cilantro leaves from the stems.
- Finely chop the remaining ¼ cup red onion.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
Calories: 430, Protein: 36g (72% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 18g (28% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 115mg (38% DV), Sodium: 470mg (20% DV), Carbohydrates: 33g (11% DV), Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt added to the recipe averages 240mg per serving, or 10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.