In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken pozole verde with tomatillos and green chiles
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 480 Calories/Serving
Holy pozole! Our custom tomatillo sauce adds big flavor to this gluten-free, lean and clean version of a Mexican classic.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 organic jalapeño or other fresh chile (optional)
- 1 cup cooked hominy
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Sunbasket tomatillo simmer sauce base (tomatillos - mild green chiles - onion - scallions - cilantro - pumpkin seeds - garlic - sesame seeds)
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1 organic lime
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted pumpkin seeds
Calories 480, Total Fat 22g (28% DV), Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 95mg (32% DV), Sodium 280mg (12% DV), Total Carb. 40g (15% DV), Fiber 12g (43% DV), Total Sugars 18g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 33g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep the pozole ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure ¾ cup [1½ cups]. Finely chop enough of the remaining onion to measure ¼ cup [½ cup] for garnish.
- If using the jalapeño, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; coarsely chop the jalapeño. Wash your hands after handling.
- Rinse the hominy.
Prep and sear the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook the pozole
Add the tomatillo simmer sauce base, hominy, oregano, chicken and any accumulated juices, and 1¼ cups [2½ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
When the pozole is almost done, prepare the remaining garnishes.
Prep the remaining garnishes
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stems.
- Measure the onion.
- Rinse the hominy.
- Measure the water for the pozole.
- Strip the cilantro leaves.
- Garnish the pozole.