In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken pozole verde with tomatillos and green chiles
Gluten-Free Friendly, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, Mediterranean, Lean & Clean, Diabetes-Friendly, Carb-Conscious, No Added Sugar, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 470 Calories/Serving
Holy pozole! Made with tangy tomatillos, mild green chiles, and pumpkin seeds, our custom tomatillo sauce adds big flavor to this lean and clean version of a Mexican classic.
In your bag
- 1 organic red onion
- 1 organic jalapeño or other fresh chile (optional)
- 1 cup cooked hominy
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Sunbasket tomatillo simmer sauce base (tomatillos - mild green chiles - onion - scallions - cilantro - pumpkin seeds - garlic - sesame seeds)
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1 organic lime
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted pumpkin seeds
Calories 470, Total Fat 25g (32% DV), Sat. Fat 3.5g (18% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 135mg (45% DV), Sodium 340mg (15% DV), Total Carb. 31g (11% DV), Fiber 9g (32% DV), Total Sugars 11g (Incl. 0g Added Sugars, 0% DV), Protein 38g
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛; teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans, Sesame.
Wash produce before use
Prep the pozole ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop enough onion to measure ¾ cup [1½ cups]. Finely chop enough of the remaining onion to measure ¼ cup [½ cup] for garnish.
- If using the jalapeño, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; coarsely chop the jalapeño. Wash your hands after handling.
- Rinse the hominy.
Prep and sear the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
Cook the pozole
In the same pan used for the chicken, if dry, add 2 to 3 teaspoons oil. Warm over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the coarsely chopped onion and as much jalapeño as you like, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the tomatillo simmer sauce base, hominy, oregano, chicken and any accumulated juices, and 1¼ cups [2½ cups] water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
When the pozole is almost done, prepare the remaining garnishes.
Prep the remaining garnishes
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stems.
Transfer the pozole to individual bowls and garnish with the cilantro, pumpkin seeds, and finely chopped onion. Serve with the lime wedges.
- Measure the onion.
- Rinse the hominy.
- Measure the water for the pozole.
- Strip the cilantro leaves.
- Garnish the pozole.