Chicken rigatoni with pesto and roasted red peppers
25 - 35 Minutes
This pasta dish builds flavor the best way, by layering it in at every step. You start by caramelizing an onion. Then you add minced garlic, mild Aleppo chile flakes, thinly sliced chicken—and keep browning. Don’t be concerned if the caramelized bits at the bottom of the pan begin to darken to a rich brown — just don’t let them burn, as they dissolve into the delicious sauce at the end. Our custom-blended pesto is merely the final flourish.
- 5 ounces rigatoni (contains wheat)
- 1 yellow onion
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 3 ounces roasted red peppers
- Two 6-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes (optional)
- Sun Basket basil pesto (fresh basil - walnuts - olive oil blend - salt)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
Cook the rigatoni
While the water heats and the pasta cooks, prepare the vegetables and chicken.
Prep the vegetables and chicken
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Slice the roasted red pepper into thin strips.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel. Cut them crosswise into thin strips.
Cook the onion and chicken
Stir in the garlic and as much Aleppo chile as you like and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chicken, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is browned and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes, depending on thickness.
Finish the pasta
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 740, Protein: 52 g, Total Fat: 26 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 8.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5.5 g, Saturated Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 120 mg, Carbohydrates: 68 g, Fiber: 4 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 970 mg
Contains: tree nuts, milk, wheat