In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken roulade with watercress and feta over Persian jeweled rice
Gluten-Free Friendly, Soy-Free, <600 Calories, Protein Plus
2 Servings, 540 Calories/Serving
Now here’s a meal fit for royalty. Our Persian jeweled rice makes a stunning gem of a side dish with ruby cranberries, vibrant carrots, and emerald pistachios.
In your bag
- ½ cup basmati rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- Sunbasket zhug spice blend (coriander - cumin - cardamom - cayenne - cloves)
- 1 bunch organic watercress
- Sunbasket feta spread (feta - mild green chiles - Greek yogurt - extra virgin olive oil - lemon juice - kosher salt - cayenne)
- Chicken options:
- 2 organic boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 to 4 organic boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 3 organic scallions
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted pistachios
- 2 ounces organic shredded carrots
Calories 540, Total Fat 24g (31% DV), Sat. Fat 5g (25% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 95mg (32% DV), Sodium 670mg (29% DV), Total Carb. 48g (17% DV), Fiber 5g (18% DV), Total Sugars 4g (Incl. 1g Added Sugars, 2% DV), Protein 36g
Contains: Milk, Tree Nuts (pistachio)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Start the jeweled rice
Heat the oven to 425°F.
- Rinse the rice.
- Set aside ½ cup [1 cup] chicken broth for the pan sauce.
In a medium sauce pot, combine the rice, cranberries, zhug spice blend, ½ cup [1 cup] chicken broth, and ½ cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cover, and keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare the chicken.
Make the feta filling; assemble the chicken roulade
- Trim the root ends and any coarse stems from the watercress. Coarsely chop the watercress.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the watercress and feta spread; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 or 2 chicken pieces at a time on a large piece of plastic wrap or waxed paper and sprinkle the meat with a few drops of water. Cover with another piece of plastic wrap or waxed paper and pound with a rolling pin or a heavy frying pan to flatten to an even thickness of about ¼ inch. Remove the plastic wrap or waxed paper, transfer the chicken to a plate, pat dry with a paper towel, and season generously with salt and pepper.
On a cutting board, lay the chicken pieces side by side and spread the feta filling evenly over the chicken, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges. Roll up the chicken tightly, placing the seam side down, and secure with a toothpick if desired.
Cook the chicken roulade
In a large ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken roulade, seam side down, and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown all over, 4 to 6 minutes.
Transfer the pan to the oven and roast until the chicken is cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes; a metal knife inserted into the center for 30 seconds should come out hot to the touch, or an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should register 165°F. Remove the pan from the oven, transfer the chicken roulade to a cutting board, and let rest. While the chicken is resting, prepare the sauce.
Make the pan sauce
Set the hot pan on the stovetop, keeping an oven mitt or thick kitchen towel over the handle.
To the pan, add the remaining chicken broth and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cut the chicken roulade on the diagonal into 1-inch-thick slices.
Finish the jeweled rice
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- Coarsely chop the pistachios.
To the pot with the rice, gently stir in the scallions, pistachios, and carrots. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the jeweled rice to individual plates. Top with the chicken roulade, spoon over the pan sauce, and serve.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure the chicken broth.
- Combine the rice and other ingredients in a sauce pot.
- Stir the feta filling.
- Time the cooking.