In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken schnitzel with parsnips and mushrooms
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo
2 Servings, 760 Calories/Serving
In Sunbasket’s spin on the German classic, instead of breading and deep-frying the meat, we give it a light dusting of almond meal, then serve it with a velvety mushroom pan sauce and roasted parsnips sweetened with a touch of maple syrup.
In your bag
- 2 or 3 parsnips
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 3 ounces cremini mushrooms
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Two 6-ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- ¾ cup almond meal
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (optional)
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and roast the parsnips
- Scrub or peel the parsnips and trim off the ends; cut the parsnips lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into 2-inch lengths.
While the parsnips roast, prepare the sauce.
Start the mushroom sauce
- Cut the mushrooms into ¼-inch slices.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Zest the lemon; cut the lemon into wedges for garnish.
While the sauce simmers, prepare the chicken.
Prep and cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut in half lengthwise to create 4 thin cutlets; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Crack the egg into a shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. With a whisk or fork, lightly beat until just blended.
- In another shallow bowl, spread the almond meal.
In a medium frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken; cook until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. While chicken cooks, prepare the parsley.
Chop the parsley; finish the sauce
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.