In order to bring you the best organic produce, some ingredients may differ from those depicted.
Chicken tagine with currants, spinach, and artichokes
Dairy-Free, Carb-Conscious, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Paleo, Spicy
2 Servings, 380 Calories/Serving
Earthy spices, piquant preserved lemon, and sweet dried fruit—explore the sweeping flavors of Morocco in this rich-tasting chicken dish.
In your bag
- Chicken options:
- 2 to 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 10 ounces total)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- Sunbasket tagine spice blend (coriander - sweet paprika - cumin - Aleppo chile flakes - ground ginger)
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 wedge preserved lemon
- 4 or 5 sprigs organic fresh cilantro
- Sunbasket marinara (tomatoes - olive oil - garlic - basil - salt - spices)
- 1 tablespoon currants
- ½ cup cooked quartered artichoke hearts
- 3 ounces organic baby spinach or other leafy greens
Calories: 380, Protein: 33g (66% DV), Fiber: 7g (28% DV), Total Fat: 19g (29% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 135mg (45% DV), Sodium: 1240mg (52% DV), Carbohydrates: 23g (8% DV), Total Sugars: 9g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Sodium does not include pantry salt; for reference, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt per serving averages 240mg (10% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Packed in a facility that handles all major food allergens* and gluten. *Milk, Eggs, Fish, Crustacean Shellfish, Tree Nuts, Peanuts, Wheat, Soybeans.
Wash produce before use
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper and the tagine spice blend.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan. Meanwhile, start preparing the remaining ingredients.
Prep the remaining ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice enough onion to measure 1 cup [2 cups].
- Separate the pulp from the preserved lemon peel. Coarsely chop the pulp and thinly slice the peel, keeping them separate.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro. Divide into two equal portions, one for the tagine and one for garnish.
Start the tagine
In the same pan used for the chicken, warm 1 to 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and as much preserved lemon pulp as you like, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the marinara, currants, half the cilantro, and ½ cup [1 cup] water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add the chicken and any accumulated juices. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened, 10 to 12 minutes.
Finish the tagine
To the pan with the chicken, stir in the artichokes and spinach (the spinach in batches if needed) and simmer until the artichokes are heated through and the spinach is just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper and as much preserved lemon peel as you like.
Set the tagine on the table, garnish with the remaining cilantro, and invite everyone to serve themselves.
- Measure the onion.
- Divide the cilantro in half.
- Measure the water for the tagine.
- Garnish with cilantro.